Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

A8L D2 vs D3: pros, cons, opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 02:40 AM
Default A8L D2 vs D3: pros, cons, opinions?

Hi all, I am shopping to purchase my first A8, used. I have been scouring every Audi forum that I can find and enjoying the info from all. I just wanted to put the question out there for all of you: If you were buying your first A8, knowing what you know now, which one would you go for? I'll say that the upper end of my budget is $30k (I know this is low but, I think I can get an '04 for this, in the States) however, I would much rather spend closer to $20k if possible. I'll probably be looking for mileage between 60k - 80k.

I love both body styes and have driven an '00 A8L 4.2Q, my father-in-law's, recently. I love the car, and the look but, I am also drawn to the D3 body as well. I like the cleaner engine compartment, the cleaner dash and the lcd screen. I am concerned about the MMI though as I have never had a car that 'sophisticated'. I am used to a button for everything if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I know I am new here, and haven't posted much. I have read just about every post in the A8 forum however, on this site and others. I have become obsessed with these cars.

Any thoughts, opinions and or comments are appreciated.

On a side note, anyone thought of putting a Mac Mini in the D3?

-Future A8L owner.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:24 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: A8L D2 vs D3: pros, cons, opinions?

For $30,000 I'd look at 02- 03 S8s. The 01s sell for the low to mid $20s.

I haven't priced out 04 D3s but I don't know if you can find any in that price range.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:08 AM

You bring up a great point. So far, I had only been considering the A8L because I like the extra length but, I have not driven an S8 yet. I need to get some seat time in the other models. The problem is, I know I will be wowed by them so I am looking for some stuff to help me stay grounded and objective when I get to drive the S and the D3 model. I think it basically comes down to wheelbase for sure. If I decide to go with the shorter one, I should get the S8. I know the power is 360, in the US. I wonder if the mileage changes much? I have also noticed it is not easy to find many engine mods for the 4.2 engine.

Thanks for the info.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:09 AM
1st Gear

If you'd prefer to spend closer to $20K as you say, and expect to get a car with 60K-80K on the clock, I would recommend you take the car that is simpler mechanically (guess which one ). I don't know how long you plan on keeping the car, but IMHO it is generally a good idea, when buying mid to high-mileage luxobarge, to take the one that will be less expensive/easier to service a couple years down the road, and one whose known issues are well documented.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:32 AM

Great point Hans. I have owned many other 'used' luxo barges and I completely understand your point. I also do like the D2 body. Maybe I need to plan this in stages. I should start out with a D2 and then later move up to a D3. So, I have done much research but, have found some discrepencies. If I go with a D2, I know that I want Xenons, Solar Roof (was that available in the US on D2s?), and also, if available, the cool seat package. My father-in-law has a 2000 in gorgeous blue and it seemed to have HID lights but, I didn't have time to look under the hood to verify. Can I find what I want option wise in a D2? I know that finding exactly what I want will cost $$ but, if it is the right setup, I don't mind at all because I will keep it for a long time. I only wish we could get the TDI versions here in the US! I might sell my first born for one of those....