Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Audi A8L using oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Default Audi A8L using oil

I have A8L 2004 purchased in Dec. 2003. Noticed after 1 wk that blue smoke coming from exhaust, I called sales person told him what was happening he sais go ahead and drive put some miles on the car see what it did. 2500 miles used 1 Qt. 4700 used another Qt. took back to dealer said nothing wrong this was normal. Between 5000 and 14200 added 4 more Qt's, went back to dealer for 15000 service they checked the car out and again said nothing wrong this is normal. I called Audi headquarters about the problem and they sided with the dealer. WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE ? IS THIS NORMAL?

Old 12-03-2004, 05:53 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: Audi A8L using oil

it's not uncommon for brand new cars to consume large amounts of oil.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:15 PM

Have had Lexus for last 3 cars never had any oil usage. and alot of others makes without oil problems

Old 12-03-2004, 07:21 PM
6th Gear

hehe, ok well maybe it's not uncommon for brand new Audi's to consume oil at first.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:27 PM

I would't think to much about this on brakin but after 14000 miles this a problem thats not going to solve itself. you remind me of an audi service tech.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:48 PM
6th Gear

Is there another dealer you can take your car too? I didn't read your post that closely (i'm at work), I thought your car was newer than that. It really shoulnt be consuming that much oil in that few of miles. And the car should be broken in by now.

Maybe you could just forget to fill up with oil and let it kill the engine. That would get their attention. Jokes aside, there has to be someway to get someone's attention about this matter.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:05 AM
1st Gear

Audi has a pretty good customer relations program and you should have had an audi advocate contact you when you purchased you A8L from the dealer. I do not know what state you are in but lemon laws usually cover one year or up to 12000 miles.

Check you manuals for the Audi Customer program, speak with an advocate or supervisor. Follow up with proof and documentation. My experience with Audi is the opposite of yours. I solved my problem once an Audi Factory Rep drove with me. I dont know if that is possible with your problem. See if Audi will write you a letter saying that that type of oil consumption is normal. BTW I assume you know that artificial oil is used in the A8. I hope you are not mixing the oils when you get a low reading. That could contribute to your problem.

Good luck
arnfire

Old 06-28-2005, 08:25 PM

The A8 Quattro we have at work (I work for BP Fuels Development) has a startling amount of oil in its intake manifold. The dealer says this is normal. My guess is that the oil separation in the breather system is designed to let a bit of oil through to help splash lubricate the variable geometry system. This is why it consumes more oil than you would expect IMO.