Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Celluar Phone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Celluar Phone?

I just purchased an 04 Audi A8L and I love it. It came with an integrated phone that I am told is obsolete and cannot be turned on. Does anyone know what my options are? Audi does not have any answer and my dealer does not know anything about it either. I would like to use this feature, but I am having a hard time getting answers. I am sure I am not the only person to go through this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Dana.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Celluar Phone?

When I got mine it had some kind of integrated phone remnants... handset, bracket, wiring. I just dismantled everything and tossed it. With cell phones becoming so ubiquitous, nowadays, who needs a "car" phone?

Old 09-10-2006, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

When I got mine it had some kind of integrated phone remnants... handset, bracket, wiring. I just dismantled everything and tossed it. With cell phones becoming so ubiquitous, nowadays, who needs a "car" phone?
I'm surprised Audi even bothers putting in phones, but of course I know why they do it (so that the A8 doesnt look under-optioned compared to rivals, and to charge people some insane amount for a phone that they wont even use, and that will become obsolete in a couple years while the car is still with its first owner).

Cut to some poor (well, not poor really) schmoe sitting in a dealership, checking off boxes on the order form "whoa, gotta get me a phone, dont wanna be stuck in a car without a phone"

Old 09-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: HansBlix

"whoa, gotta get me a phone, dont wanna be stuck in a car without a phone"
[sm=exactly.gif][sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 09-14-2006, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your responses. I just thought, what a waste of a $1,500.00 option if I could still use it. I will opt for a new phone. I loved the fact that your could have the stereo cranked and still hear the phone ring through the sound system. Maybe on the next car.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

I got my 04 a couple of months ago too and faced the same situation. Since this model year does not have blue tooth technology, and my Razor does, I must spend around $400-500 and make the car Blue Tooth able. That is the best option but I am not going to.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:20 PM
1st Gear

Can you tell me more about making my current 04 Blue Tooth capable. For the money, it may be worth it. I would like the talk and listen through the stereo. I also want to stereo to lower in volume so I can hear the phone. Is all this possible with the upgrade you speak of? If it does not integrate with the current system, I will just keep what I have and miss calls when the stereo is cranked.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:46 PM
1st Gear

I can't remember exactly where I read the how to blog. It was in this site or/and audiworld.com. Sounds like you and I have the same taste. I love cranking up the Bose but I would miss calls. With this Blue Tooth upgrade for the 04 ( aftermarket ), you should in theory keep the phone right in your pocket. When a call comes in, the music should go to mute and the name of the person calling will be displayed on the screen. It will also have voice command and the address book displayed on the screen. I will search for the article and let you know.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:32 PM
AQ6
1st Gear

Check out this site. I have the same situation and this seems like the way to go. I haven't used service but it looks like a good referance. There is also a bluetooth how-to by Boston Driver on the A6 site you might want to check out.

http://www.nsxjr.com/