Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Clicking under dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Default Clicking under dash

Hello all,

I have a 2000 A8 and I'm getting a strange clicking noise from under the front dash. It sounds like an old turn signal noise. it only happens once in a while, but it happens when I'm driving and when the car is idle.

Anyone have this issue, or know what it is?

BTW, i have another question about the antifreeze. My coolant is low and needs refilled. Do I have to buy the factory antifreeze, or can I use any antifreeze? I've heard different things so I'm a little confused.

thanks for all the help

Old 04-11-2007, 02:02 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Clicking under dash

The clicking noise could be the flasher switch in the dash but its not common on the A8 model, (more common on the A6) and you should use the factory coolant, you can't buy it at an autozone or any stores like that.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:03 AM
1st Gear

The clicking noise is a VERY common problem on the D2 variant. It is one of the HVAC motorised gates that control the distribution of air in the cabin trying to open/close past its end stop. It normally clicks about six or seven clicks, then is happy for a while. There is no easy fix, but some have had success by ramping the temp selector up to HI then down to LOW and selecting all the air vent options in turn. Also, if it clicks in Auto mode, then select a vent option and it generally stops the clicks that time round. Sorry I can't offer a better answer, but it's a common fault that requires major dash sergury to replace the gate, and just is not worth the expense.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:35 PM

thanks for the reply.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

I have the same problem in my 04 A8L and the dealer told me that there is actually no fix for the problem. The noise is coming from the climate control shutters. You can try just about everything to make it stop but nothing will permanently stop the noise. As soon as there is a significant change in climate in the vehicle, the clicking will most likely return for a short period. It was brought to my attention that the Q7 is having the same issue and there is no known fix at this time. I was told that when Audi has a fix for the problema service bulletin will be issued. A service bulletin is not a recall so you will not get a notice from Audi however if you bring your car in for service they should address the problem.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:05 AM

Have a look at this information from the AudiWorld Forums - this is the url http://forums.audiworld.com/a8/msgs/75766.phtml .

I understand the detailed procudure is in the Repair Manual: Air Conditioning, Chapter 5 - "Removing and installing centre vent control motors (-V102, -V110, -V111).

I decided to live with the problem.

David (from the UK)
2000 Racing green 4.2 Long