Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Coolant Warning light

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Coolant Warning light

Just since today evening my coolant warning light started beeping , the coolant level seems fine and i looked for any leaks, but all that was the water from the front right side of the car right below the fog lamp , i dont know if thats the raidator or just the ac water dripping out , i need help

Old 03-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Site Moderator

The water from the A/C drips down under the passenger's feet, where the evaporator is. So if you are seeing a leak by the fog light its something else. Can you verify any color? Odor? Going old school here but taste?......thats wierd i know but damn it works.

The coolant light is triggered by a sensor on the bottom of the resivior, so if you can't find any REAL leaks you need to buy a new resivior as the sensor doesn't come seperate.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:40 PM
2nd Gear

I bet that is washer fluid leaking up there. If your coolant res is full but you have a light you probably just need a new level sensor. The res has to be completely empty to trigger the light.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:49 AM
1st Gear

thank you guys for your replies ,

i just got it checked at a petrol station , the fluid was just plain water he was saying either the viper fluid res is busted or its just over flowing .. but the funny deal is the car yet heats up i have to keep adding coolant , he was like its better you take it to a garage to get it checked because its not normal and can add stress to your engine . any other solutions from you guys ?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Fardeen
thank you guys for your replies ,

i just got it checked at a petrol station , the fluid was just plain water he was saying either the viper fluid res is busted or its just over flowing .. but the funny deal is the car yet heats up i have to keep adding coolant , he was like its better you take it to a garage to get it checked because its not normal and can add stress to your engine . any other solutions from you guys ?
What year/model car?

How many miles?

Is it overheating? ...higher than first big mark on temp gauge at all?

No, it's not normal to need coolant added at all....sealed system, unless it overheats and blows out cap. Any dried coolant (crusty powder) around cap?

Check for leaks. Look under the hood with a flashlight...esp at what you can see of the plastic belly pan, for wet or dry coolant trails.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Site Moderator

^^+1, couldn't say it any better.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 AM
1st Gear

2004 , A8 4.2 about 95k km ,

so i got it checked at a garage , and there was no leaks no visible sign of the coolant getting out , no dry spots , nothing . The garage fellow was like the car is in mint condition but i dont understand how the coolant level is decreasing , so what he did was a temp seal fluid for radiator and coolant res , and he asked him to see if the level yet decreases , which was untill yesterday , drove the car about 80kms , and checked underneath the hood today and the water level did decrease :S

Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Site Moderator

How low? The resivior has a vent at the cap, so if you're topping it off to the top (above the full cold mark) IT WILL LOSE COOLANT after it heats up and expands. Now if you're driving it around for a week and there is NOTHING in the resivior then you have a problem.

P.S. Your mechanic sounds like an idiot, no self respecting mechanic will use anything bottled claimed to fix leaks.