Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Detailed motor now engine light on ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:03 PM
1st Gear
Exclamation Detailed motor now engine light on ?

Yes ! Im stupid. I detailed the motor using simple green and a hose. I spayed water over entire motor compartment. Now my A8 engine light is on and the car has no power and idling ruff like it wants to stall. Any help ?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Site Moderator

You got water on the coil packs, take them out, dry them off, then try it.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:42 PM
1st Gear
Angry Thanks AudiTech

Please everyone learn from me ! Do not spray water on ignition coils ! There are eight total ( on my A8 ) I shorted out 4 of the eight and ended up replacing all 8 (dealer rec). $44.0 each plus labor. almost $600 !!! That was one expensive car wash !

Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Site Moderator

Sorry to hear about that mate, at least you know now. When i detail the engine compartment of an audi stay away from the coils with a pressure washer and i pull them out and dry them shortly after. That goes for all cars with COP (coil on plug) coil packs as well.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 2005AudiA8
Please everyone learn from me ! Do not spray water on ignition coils ! There are eight total ( on my A8 ) I shorted out 4 of the eight and ended up replacing all 8 (dealer rec). $44.0 each plus labor. almost $600 !!! That was one expensive car wash !
I did the same thing but they only replaced the bad ones (I'm not sure how they determined there were only 5 and which 5 were bad) BUT I got it done under warranty. I actually thought they were a LOT more expensive than $44!! WOW! I will change the other 3 at 55k for sure now.

Thanks for the info.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:27 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Wash gone bad...

Thought I would drop an update on the post motor wash. I had 4 bad coils but they suggested that I replace all eight. The day after I got my car back the engine light came on so back to Audi I went. They tested it and said it was a catilitic converter falt. They reset it and I was on my way...
Next morning engine light was on again, back to audi. They told me that I needed to replace the catilitic converter(s)? "dont worry the emissions system has a 8 year warrenty" Ready on Friday ! NOT ! I got a call that they will have to pull the engine and tranny to fix the converter ! Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday now. I may never open my hood again !

Old 12-14-2008, 11:45 PM
1st Gear
Cool

Originally Posted by 2005AudiA8
Thought I would drop an update on the post motor wash. I had 4 bad coils but they suggested that I replace all eight. The day after I got my car back the engine light came on so back to Audi I went. They tested it and said it was a catilitic converter falt. They reset it and I was on my way...
Next morning engine light was on again, back to audi. They told me that I needed to replace the catilitic converter(s)? "dont worry the emissions system has a 8 year warrenty" Ready on Friday ! NOT ! I got a call that they will have to pull the engine and tranny to fix the converter ! Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday now. I may never open my hood again !
I think you need a second opinion from another Audi Dealer. Cleaning your engine should have no consequence on your CATS. The CAT code could be a coincidence, but I would bet against it. Take it somewhere else and get the actual code(s) it throws and post them.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Site Moderator

If you let your engine misfire enough from bad coil packs it can damage the cat converters in a hurry. What happens is when the engine misfires, excess fuel doesn't get burned in the combustion chamber and gets sent through the exhaust and into the cats, the fuel then ignites inside the cat converters and breaks them down, giving you that rotten egg smell if its really bad. You will also notice that they will now glow if they are really bad.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Site Moderator

Oh, and it doesn't require pulling the engine to change out the cats, they just say that to get paid more hours of labor through audi warranty. Audi will eventually catch on to that fact and bust the techs *****. So there isn't any risk of them pulling the motor, it will actually only take about 4 hours to change the cats. The cat converters are under a federall warranty which states any vehicle with less than 80k or a certain amount of years (i think 5) is subject to repair free of charge. Its an "attempt" to clean up the enviroment.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:05 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by auditech79
If you let your engine misfire enough from bad coil packs it can damage the cat converters in a hurry. What happens is when the engine misfires, excess fuel doesn't get burned in the combustion chamber and gets sent through the exhaust and into the cats, the fuel then ignites inside the cat converters and breaks them down, giving you that rotten egg smell if its really bad. You will also notice that they will now glow if they are really bad.
Well, yeah what Auditech said, but you're not supposed to go DRVING AROUND with catastrophic misfires!! I mean, come on, who does that??

Once there's a SES light and the car feels wrong, fix it or get it flatbedded - right away!

Good info.