Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

died today I think "fuel pump"

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:24 PM
4th Gear

Cool... running the tank below 1/4 constantly does really put wear on the pump.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Default not out of the woods yet

At this point I am wishing my problem was as simple as a fuel pump. My mechanic (who I do trust) has ruled out pretty much everything else (solenoid, immobilizer, pump, relays, etc). We are down to . . .and I truly do hate those 3 little words. . ."an electrical problem". Specifically, the engine computer he tells me is malfunctioning.

We have replaced relays, run diagnostics upon diagnostics with the same result. Car starts up fine, fuel pressure gets up to 55-60 pounds, then immediately drops down to about thirty, where it continues to slowly fall until the car cuts off. He has traced my problem back to the computer.

Is there possbly something that we could be missing or haven't tried yet???

Last edited by AldoBlue; 10-15-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:46 PM
1st Gear
Question Fuel Pump Regulator

Originally Posted by AldoBlue
At this point I am wishing my problem was as simple as a fuel pump. My mechanic (who I do trust) has ruled out pretty much everything else (solenoid, immobilizer, pump, relays, etc). We are down to . . .and I truly do hate those 3 little words. . ."an electrical problem". Specifically, the engine computer he tells me is malfunctioning.

We have replaced relays, run diagnostics upon diagnostics with the same result. Car starts up fine, fuel pressure gets up to 55-60 pounds, then immediately drops down to about thirty, where it continues to slowly fall until the car cuts off. He has traced my problem back to the computer.

Is there possibly something that we could be missing or haven't tried yet???
I didn't see you mention Fuel Pump Regulator or Filter Mine was a combination of a partially clogged filter and a bad habit of allowing the tank to get at below 1/4 tank
but my car is a daily driver my wife works 60 miles from where we live 2001 A8L 165k miles

Old 11-08-2009, 12:57 PM
1st Gear

Hey guys. I own a 2004 Audi A8L. I recently have had the same problem as AldoBlue (the initial story, as to where it starts and runs fine for a good 1--15 sec then sputters to a death). have 63500 miles on my car. Now the only difference is right before my car decided to die ever 10 sec i had thrown a check engine light (CEL). This was about a week ago from bad starts. now i checked the code and it was both back banks left and right were running lean. wasnt sure if it was cuase i had put in 87 and not 91. So i got fuel cleaner as a ah why not thing, well i waited for my tank to get down to about 30 miles left on teh tank then filled it with about 12 gallons fo 91 and added this fuel cleaner in turned the car on and the CEL ligth turned off!. Well ever since i got that fuel cleaner the car was parked at home for about 24 hours to where i was going to pick something up and the car started and then died. re-started it and ran fine no weird smells or drips or anything. just runs fine then after 10-15 sec it dies. the exhaust smells fine, nothing weird smelling or smoke coming out of it. no lights telling me somethng wrong. just dies. I did have a habbit of leaving under 1/4 of gas in my tank as i live 2-3 miles from work and tend to not have to fill up all to often but i can tell you that i know my car has been in the under 1/4 gas in its past a quite a bit. Any pre help before i start spending un godly amounts of money at Audi down the street?