Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Does this price sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 02:22 PM
1st Gear
Default Does this price sound right?

Thinking about purchasing this A8, 04 with 66K every option 19" sport wheels, amaretto int, blk ext. Dealer is asking $20K. I figure I could get them down a little more. Wondering if this price sounds about right. Car seems really clean and well kept. 2 previous owners Dealer said remaining warranty buy unsure how much longer, I gotta find that out

Old 09-19-2010, 02:44 PM
2nd Gear

That's a good price, book and what they're really selling for....esp if no big issues and clean Carfax & Autocheck (what one misses, the other may catch...neither is ironclad).

I'd take a good look and feel of front the suspension...upper arms esp (bushings) and check the trunk hinges for smoothness. Test drive and don't dismiss anything you feel or hear...question everything.

Some warn about 04's having a few issues that later models don't, but I've seen no general consensus that it's a "lemon" year...just isolated unlucky owners. Lots of threads have talked this over...you've probably seen some.

If they'll take less, then great...it would be worth it, even with any issues you might need to address.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Site Moderator

You can get it for cheaper, those cars just aren't selling right now and the dealers' know it. I saw an 04 at an infinity lot with 80k on the clock selling for $17,500

The 04 does have some design flaws, but if you asked me if i would still buy it? Especially for the right price, yes.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:44 PM
1st Gear

I really only wanted to pay $18,500, but I know if I offer that, they wont take it on the first offer and will probably counter offer me at like $19,000 or feed me some BS how the car is already discounted $2000 or some other garbage. What should I offer them first?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear

Besides your first offer, make it clear you know these cars are not flying off the shelf. You know there are many more below their asking price....then say 17500. When the haggling is well under way, depending on their reactions, tell em you can't do more than 18500 or you're off to see the other ones for sale, because you've seen a bunch...some by private owners willing to take less...and you won't be back, unless they're willing to give.
If you've test driven it, really like it and are willing to go 19, you may still want to leave and come back to give them one more chance to go less than 19, because you are "about to close a better deal elsewhere and wanted to check one last time".
That saleperson wants their commision and ya never know.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

I once had a friend who sold used cars, and he told me that if you don't have a trade in, and you have cash or finance already arranged, you can get around 500 off for every 3k on the sticker, though it is possible in these lean times some of that already has been shaved off.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

For some reason Black/Amaretto always seems to command a premium. IMO $20K is too high. With 66K on the clock, you've got some fairly major maintenance coming up in the next 10K, something you should figure into your purchase price. An '04 A8 with 80K on the clock should be cheaper, and if it's had all of the maintenance done, a far better deal.

l8r)

Old 09-20-2010, 02:55 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mongo18
I once had a friend who sold used cars, and he told me that if you don't have a trade in, and you have cash or finance already arranged, you can get around 500 off for every 3k on the sticker, though it is possible in these lean times some of that already has been shaved off.
A lot of truth in that. I bought my last 4 cars (used) with cash in hand or prearranged financing...no trade...prices drop like a lead balloon. They foam at the mouth when a quick uncomplicated commision is that close.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:15 AM
1st Gear

Was about to make the 2nd trip to look at car when dumb salesperson finally told me that it was under deposit after telling me previously it was available so I guess that one's out. So you're saying I should look for one with more miles due to it being cheaper? When is timing belt change required? I thought it was 105K? That's what it was with my 00 A6 4.2. I really did not want to get one with over 80 because isn't that when other things start breaking?
All help is appreciated, don't want to get involved in a money pit.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:25 PM
2nd Gear

On D3's for some reason, they say 70K miles...no idea why. On D2's it was 105K...did mine at 100K only because I was in there anyway for a thermostat...otherwise, I would have had no fear of letting it go a lot longer. I had been checking the belt on a regular basis (good idea on any car and easy). The old belt was near perfect, but I had a new one and I was there.

Quick Reply: Does this price sound right?