Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Hot to remove upper console wood + center cup holder correctly ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 AM
1st Gear
Default Hot to remove upper console wood + center cup holder correctly ?

Hi,

I would like to replace the light bulb for drivers temp in the climate control unit.. so how do we remove the wood trim around the climate-control/radio ?

And also, the wooden flip cover for the front cup holders is missing, can I replace the door only ? Part number ?

thanks

Old 09-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Site Moderator

What year A8 is this for?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

1997 (pre-facelift D2)

Old 09-13-2010, 10:47 PM
Site Moderator

I can't help then, its been awhile since ive taken one of those apart, maybe someone with a bentley manual will chime in. You should get your own bentley manual if you intend to take apart your car like that though.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 PM
2nd Gear

Unfortunately, Bentley just shows the trim piece, but has no instructions on removal.
It does NOT show bolts holding it, so I assume a snap fit carefully pryed out with a proper tool (?)...don't know that though!!

What's for sure is the radio has to be removed first with special slot tools (cheap) before the climate control head comes out with bolts (should be 4) holding it in from the front....AFTER the trim and radio come out.

Radio definitely comes out (with proper tools) without removing the trim, SO the trim may be more easily removeable AFTER the radio's out. That is what I would try.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by silverd2
Unfortunately, Bentley just shows the trim piece, but has no instructions on removal.
It does NOT show bolts holding it, so I assume a snap fit carefully pryed out with a proper tool (?)...don't know that though!!

What's for sure is the radio has to be removed first with special slot tools (cheap) before the climate control head comes out with bolts (should be 4) holding it in from the front....AFTER the trim and radio come out.

Radio definitely comes out (with proper tools) without removing the trim, SO the trim may be more easily removeable AFTER the radio's out. That is what I would try.
Look up how to remove the entire center console or look up adjusting the transmission shifter or something like that and it may have a link to the correct instructions, thats how the stupid bentley works.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:03 PM
2nd Gear

Boy don't I know it...all over the manual. On the '97 model it actually tells you to remove the entire center instrument panel, after removing sides of center console to get to the bolts...then remove radio, the bolts and plugs for climate control head and only then it says if you cant get the head out, then remove the trim "see interior trim section" and it ain't mentioned there anywhere...even when you use the search box!!!

The Facelift models are simpler...radio first (Instrument panel stays), then remove Trim...only shows a picture of it and says: see int trim section...NOT there! Every piece of pillar, headliner and door trim are there, though..but NOT the center instrument.

I checked all other sections (including removing center instrument AND center console and shifter) too and doesn't even show it as a separate part in the exploded views...unbelievable!

Not too surprising for Bentley...they mention "moving lock carrier" a hundred times but it is NOWHERE in the manual. I use the Bentley (gotta have it), but I sure like the old Bentley books better, with factory photos and step by step on everything. The CD rom often only shows exploded views and torque settings, but NO step by step on lot of things.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

But do you think I can access the bulb by removing the side panel of the console, or are the bulbs ''in'' the climate head unit, which i would have too remove completely and open up ?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Site Moderator

^^No if you want to get the climate control unit out you need to pull the radio out using the radio removal keys (you have to buy these) then push the A/C control head out from the back. However i think all those "bulbs" are built into the unit, don't think they are changable.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 PM
2nd Gear

Afraid not...they're inside it. It has to come out to disassemble, to access bulbs...according to Bentley....Unless you can somehow access the screws that hold on the front panel of the unit (?)...then it prys off and bulbs are in the face itself.

Last edited by silverd2; 09-14-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Hot to remove upper console wood + center cup holder correctly ?