Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

I want to join - please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Default I want to join - please help

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to buy a 2004 A8L and have searched the internet for as much info as I can - I now turn to you guys for a litlle friendly advice . . . . .

The car was first sold (in New York) in October of 2003 as an '04 model. It only has one previous owner who put 12,000 miles on the car before selling it. The car is now certified with one year of service and 3 years of warranty remaining. It looks to be in excellent condition (convenience package, cold weather package, park assist, 19" wheels) with one caveat. On my relatively short test drive, it appeared to have a rather harsh shift from 1st to 2nd gear when accelerating slowly from a stop. The car has a clean Carfax but I haven't seen the service records yet. So, here are my quesitons:

1. Is the rough gear shift normal?? Is it a sign of something more ominous?? Is there a cheap, easy fix?? People have suggested that a transmission oil change and

2. Does this particular model year (especially the earlier versions) have a lot of problems?? If so, what are they??

3. What do you think is the fair market value of the car??

4. The car has the 19" wheels with sports tires. I need to use this car year-round in Chicago. Are these tires OK in the winter/snow or will they have to be changed out??

5. Any other insight you can offer me??

The car is beautiful and I'm sure I'll enjoy it but I'm afraid the joys may be overburdened by the nuisance of one proble/issue/expense after another. Any input you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Hopeful A8 owner

Old 11-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Default RE: I want to join - please help

Sorry - I did't finish my thought on #1 above . . . .

I heard that a transmission fluid change and some sort of "module change" can alleviate shifting problems. What does the "module chnage" refer to??

Thanks again.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: I want to join - please help

ORIGINAL: cpuranik

Hi everybody,

I'm looking to buy a 2004 A8L and have searched the internet for as much info as I can - I now turn to you guys for a litlle friendly advice . . . . .

The car was first sold (in New York) in October of 2003 as an '04 model. It only has one previous owner who put 12,000 miles on the car before selling it. The car is now certified with one year of service and 3 years of warranty remaining. It looks to be in excellent condition (convenience package, cold weather package, park assist, 19" wheels) with one caveat. On my relatively short test drive, it appeared to have a rather harsh shift from 1st to 2nd gear when accelerating slowly from a stop. The car has a clean Carfax but I haven't seen the service records yet. So, here are my quesitons:

1. Is the rough gear shift normal?? Is it a sign of something more ominous?? Is there a cheap, easy fix?? People have suggested that a transmission oil change and

2. Does this particular model year (especially the earlier versions) have a lot of problems?? If so, what are they??

3. What do you think is the fair market value of the car??

4. The car has the 19" wheels with sports tires. I need to use this car year-round in Chicago. Are these tires OK in the winter/snow or will they have to be changed out??

5. Any other insight you can offer me??

The car is beautiful and I'm sure I'll enjoy it but I'm afraid the joys may be overburdened by the nuisance of one proble/issue/expense after another. Any input you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Hopeful A8 owner
Hiya! Welcome!

1. Not in a luxury car, however, big cars with big engines can be like that, sometimes when they're cold. Try driving it around enough to get all teh fluids up to normal operating tems, and see if it still does teh harsh shift thing.

2. Most of teh problems you'll experience will be with teh Stealerships. After almost two years on these boards I've noticed that many people begin to experience minor/annoying electrical problems with secondary or tertiary systems (headrests, cruise-control, dead-pixels, and-so-on) once their cars begin to pick up mileage closer to 75-100k.

3. Best way to gauge market value is to check teh prices for your model (in your area, because geographic location can sometimes play a pivotal role in used-car prices) on AutoTrade.com, Cars.com, or even eBay. Hell, check all three!

4. Even if you drove a Nissan Cherry I'd recommend winter/summer tires, if you can afford them. All-Season's, if you can't. ESPECIALLY in the Chicago area. Unless you KNOW you're NOT gonna get ANY snow or ice, you're gonna loop your nice car, even WITH AWD, if you don't have the proper footwear on it. I have a personal preference, when it comes to tires, but I won't corrupt your decision-making-process with my prejudices. You're adept at researching, on the web, apply those skills to finding a GOOD set of ALL-SEASON tires to roll with, during teh winter. I say "All-Season" because, even in Chi-town you get to see teh pavement, on occassion, during teh winter. "Snow" tires are for snow, and SUCK Donkey-Bolls on dry pavement.

5. Agree to adopt me, and I'll share with you my VALUABLE insight on: Life, Liberty, and teh pursuit!

1. (part2) It sounds like someone is talking about the computer chip that controls when/how your transmission shifts. In deference to how Audi refers to "our" transmissions' ability to be "tipped" up or down a-gear-at-a-time, we call it the "Tip-Chip." A good one will not only shorten the time it takes for your tranny to up-shift, but reprogram the shift points ofr better fuel economy and/or better performance, depending on how you drive.
If teh mileage is as low as you saw it is it shoulldn't NEED a fluid change, this soon. Unless it's been hammered. You know, driven HARD for all those low miles.

Hope I helped...