Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

maintenance costs for 2001

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 06:27 PM
1st Gear
Default maintenance costs for 2001

I'm close to buying a 2001 A8. It's in being inspected and I'm going to decide based on the results.
$16k for 80,000 miles. A bit high, but it's just over the Canadian border, our dollar is going crazy and the timing belt and tires were just replaced.

My friend has an A6 which is ideal for skiing and trips, the main reason I like the A8.
I'm driving a 1990 XJ6 right now and often choose to ride my bike instead.

I've been trying to get a handle on average yearly maintenance costs though. I'm guessing $3k/year outside of fuel and oil changes. Is that pretty close?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: maintenance costs for 2001

...any any you don't spend, any given year, set aside, because you'll need it, sooner or later. You can save a bit, yearly, by doing a lot of the simple things yourself...

Old 10-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Site Moderator

On an 01 thats about right, if the control arms start to wear out expect to tag on another thousand to that total, you should need those about every 80k also.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

So it's about $3000-$4000k/year? The one other estimate I heard was $1000/year +$.10/mile

Other than the control arms, what are the main things that go? T

It's starting to look like a bad financial decision, but I'll probably still do it.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Senior Administrator

Mostly just annoying, but not critical electrical items. I've heard lots of grumbling about the headrests, for instance, including my OWN grumbling about my OWN headrests[:@]. Two of teh four have become stationary items, not adjustable, anymore. My rear-view mirror no longer auto-dims (and I've heard I think maybe 2 others who have this issue, out of the 8-10 peeps I know w/A8 ca. 1999-2003). I know of one person who has an issue with one of teh rear windows working intermittently. Minor stuff like that. The rest is regular maintainence. keep up with that and the annoyances can be taken care of with a little research, here, or via google; a weekend, and a case of your fav beer!

BTW, I've noticed that when I DO happen to call teh Stealership for parts, they have this wheel they spin, that has the numbers 1-9 on it. Then, whatever # it falls on, they just add the qualifyer -HUNDRED onto it and quote me that price for the part[&o]. Let me knwo if you do go for it. I'll send you my list of internet parts joints, for you to add to your bookmarks. Sooner or later it will come in handy. Hopefully later... Later is better.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

The rest is regular maintainence. keep up with that and the annoyances can be taken care of with a little research, here, or via google; a weekend, and a case of your fav beer!
wow is this jazz.....cant be the guy i know saying this.....

Old 10-04-2007, 05:07 PM
1st Gear

Well I was happy for a few minutes there. Is Jazz trying to lure me into the cold water?

My last two purchases were a 1978 Winnebago and a 1990 Jaguar XJ6. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I'm familiar with high maintenance cars. I'm hoping a 2001 A8 will be a bit less hands on. .

I'm going to test drive it on Sunday with a bank draft in hand. It's already been given the ok by garage.
Is there anything I should watch for on the test drive? Paying attention to how it gears down is the one thing I've heard.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

My 2001 goes off extended warranty this month. I bought it in January 05. I've had the thermostat, headrests, oxygen sensor, mass air flow meter,a rear prop shaft seal and a few other items repaired under warranty. One tie rod end went bad but they wouldn't cover it under warranty. They said it was a wear item, I asked which part of the car wasn't. They had no answer to that but my mechanic replaced it for anout $100.
The car has really been great! I was a BMW 7 series driver for many years but love the A8 more, especially in the ice and snow. The main instrument cluster was replaced before I took delivery and I'm glad it happened then.

There is no way to estimate annual costs. When my '93 740 started costing me $3-4000 a year in repairs, it was time to get rid of it. It made no sense to me to pay more per year in repairs than depreciation of a newer car..

Old 10-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: rayveedub

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

The rest is regular maintainence. keep up with that and the annoyances can be taken care of with a little research, here, or via google; a weekend, and a case of your fav beer!
wow is this jazz.....cant be the guy i know saying this.....
He ONLY shows up to bust my chops, apparently!!! What, you've never heard of "do as I say, not as I (don't) do"?!?!?! Don't make me ask about your personal transportation[8D]

Old 10-22-2007, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

be prepared to spend 1800 for timing belt/water pump/thermostat soon..i am sure at 80k it has not been done yet..

Quick Reply: maintenance costs for 2001