Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Navigation screen is blank

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Navigation screen is blank

Hello,

I just bought my first Audi (2005 Audi A8). Although this thing is a technological masterpiece, I see the potential for so much technology to become a nightmare.

I noticed that my navigation screen is blank even when I start route guidance. At first I thought I needed the CD but I have found that in the trunk in the driver side compartment the navigation CD is indeed in the player. Once I program where I want to go and hit start guidance it shows the triangle icon that is supposed to represent me but the screen is blank (white). Can anyone help me with this? I'm new to this forum... new to audi's.. and completely lost.. there are other issues and I've already replaced some fuses. I'm slowly figuring things out about this car and I've ordered the service manual from ebay (should be coming in next week) but sometimes it's best to ask a fellow member for help.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

Update on the screen.

The screen was blank yesterday but when I turned the car on today it actually worked. I had streets and everything but the issue now is that it thinks I'm in the wrong spot. It's about 2 or 3 miles away from where I really am. It shows route guidance and step by step navigation but my starting point (the triangle that represents me) is in the wrong place. Do I need to reset or refresh the system somehow? I'm hoping that it will fix itself by tomorrow but I doubt it. Does anyone know if I need to update the CD or something?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

What year is the Nav DVD?

Am wondering if it is out of date and thereby confused.
When I got my 2005 it regularly showed me off road - but I think on black/blank screen until it was updated.

Also I'd check the VCDS scan to see if there is an antennae issue.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 AM
1st Gear

How do I find out the year of the NAV dvd? I'm thinking you might be right in that it is out of date... But I thought the updates were just to update roads, streets and new neighborhoods. What is the VCDS scan and how can I check that? Also, I've been able to track down the diagram for the rear right (passenger) fuse box and slot number 2 is the MMI aerial amplifier. Do you think that has anything to do with the NAV being off. I'm going to check that fuse and see if it's ok.

I should be getting the manual DVD in the mail soon. Maybe I can upload it in a pdf or something.. I know it's been difficult for me to track it down so I'm sure there are others who are in need.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

They year is printed on the DVD where it says >Version.

VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) is available from Ross-Tech Store: VCDS
You just need the $350 one unless you want the kit with the box and such.
Don't bother with cheap knock-offs, they don't work or do all the functions of the real one.

Many things you can do with it beyond diagnostics.
Will pay for itself very quickly.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

is it blank or is there just no detail? if theres no detail it could be a bad disk, however that probably wouldnt affect the nav to the extent of showing a mile or so out when it did start working.

it could be the antenna, also check your battery is good and you have no power related issues.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

That VCDS sounds like a must with Audis. I will consider it for sure. Thank you for the suggestion.

As for now the nav is pulling up my area and streets. It will even start a route guidance and give me instructions. I'm still a couple of miles out of where I'm supposed to be (it shows my location a couple of miles away from where I really am). I was hoping there was a reset of the map or something. I'm still waiting on the Manual. What I plan to do this weekend is check all fuses all over again. I had mentioned in an earlier post that there is a MMI aerial amplifier fuse in the trunk. I suspect that may have something to do with all this. So far, I've found four fuse boxes. two in the front on either side of the dash (you have to open the doors to get to them) and two in the trunk (one near the battery and one near the navigation player)

I'll check fuses. Hopefully I'll find something there
I'll check DVD version (year)
I'll call the dealer to see if they have any suggestions.
I'll post the results

wish me luck

Old 04-17-2013, 05:52 AM
1st Gear

Maybe previous owner updated the Navi with a new map (when you put a new map in it updates something the first time you put it in).
Then when they sold the car, maybe they or a dealer put an old map DVD in without realising it would no longer work properly.

Also, newer map disks in early cars require an MMI update to work properly, or at least that's what I gleened from reading forums.

You can update the MMI SW with 3x CDs from the dealer, or download images from the internet. There is some useful info. in the Audi section of the gpsunderground website.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 AM
1st Gear

Well here is my update.. So far,
1. I've checked every single fuse in both front panels and rear luggage panels..
2. I've called the dealer. they of course recommended that I bring it in to do a diagnostics check ($125 just for the check) He did mention that it could be the antenna and it may need to be reconfigured so I've been tinkering with that.
3. The dvd is version 4 so I'm assuming that's from 2004..

I've received my service manual in the mail and I've barley begun to scratch at the surface of everything in here. They do mention the vehicle diagnosis, testing and information system a lot. I'm assuming this is the system jakematic was talking about ordering. It seems once you replace anything on this audi, you need to then calibrate it with that vehicle diagnosis computer???