Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

New A8 Guy Here

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Default New A8 Guy Here

Greetings,

I am about to take the plunge and pick up a used D3 A8L. I read the archives about it some bit, to know what to look for and so forth. Big question I have:

Can the brakes be done by the home mechanic?

I could not find a good post on this one, only from several sources that the job will cost $1500. Why is that?

Second big question: saw some can try to transfer the CPO ewarranty - how do you do that?

Many thanks for all the help. In an excited but cautious state right now.

Steve

Old 12-03-2007, 03:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: New A8 Guy Here

2nd on the CPO warranty.

I am awaiting some word about mine today.

If anyone knows, please let us know.

thanks

Old 12-04-2007, 05:35 AM
Senior Administrator

Hey Steve,

Welcome to the forums. Great place to find out info on our Audi's. Yes, you can do the brakes at home. If you have the proper tools it generally onlytakes about 90-120 minutes to do all four, if you've never done it before. All you need is a little mechanical know-how, a couple of sockets, maybe a couple of wrenches-for leverage on difficult bolts, and a brake-caliper-tool. You can find this gift from mechanics heaven at Harbor Freight, for about $30.00+ S&H at: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732

Or, if you're more adventurous,on eBay for about $25.00+ S&H at: http://search.ebay.com/brake-caliper...pZ34QQsbrsrtZd

OR, if you're RILLY cheap (which I doubt, of you'd've bought a Corolla), if your local auto -parts store does tool-lending, you will only have to leave a returnable deposit, which is refunded in whole or in part, upon return of their tool-set.

Brakes are one of the easiest things you can DIY on a car, generally. Lemme know if you need a step-by-step...

Old 12-20-2007, 12:22 PM

Welcome to the forum

Old 12-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Senior Administrator

Welcome 2 U 2, Mopar. You gonna shovel a 383 into an A4-project car, for us?!?!?!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Gear

Hey Jazz, I'm about to do the front brakes on my '01. I assume the caliper tool you're referring to just retracks the pistons, right? I usually clean the pistons with a toothbrush and brakes fluid and you can finger press them back in once clean or am I being too optimistic?

Old 12-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Senior Administrator

Flemming! How'ya been? The caliper too is for pressing the piston back ointo the caliper housing, but only the rear calipers need the tool. The rear pistons have o be twisted & pushed back, simultaneously. Easiest way to do it is with the caliper-tool. Fronts simply push back in.

If you don;t wanna buy the tool, most auto parts stores nowadays will allow you to check-out tools with a major credit card. Check with your local auto parts store.