Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

oil or mud?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:08 PM
1st Gear
Default oil or mud?

my 01 s8 manual states oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals with filter. that's wrong.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: oil or mud?

Almost all audi's have a 10,000 mile service interval, but yeah in my opinion thats too long not to change the oil.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Senior Administrator

I think it stems from their lack of understanding of American driving culture. We tend to have more stop-and-go driving, which tends to generate more carbon in the cumbustionchamber/valves/etc, which naturally gets transfereed to the oil, during its trip thru the engine. More than just abuot anything else, carbon will wear out a motor oil.

In Europe, a fair amount of most folke driving is open autobahn/autoroute/autostrada. Internal engine temps tend to stay higher, longer, which gives the engine a chance to burn off much of that carbon BEFORE it accumulates (ever heard of an Italian tune-up). The oil isn't broken down as fast, so you can go longer between changes, if you're so inclined. Just move to Germany

Old 03-26-2007, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

my mechanic says go 10,000 miles but change the filter more often. from my experiences in life, that if its a good motor , it just keeps going no matter what. but if its a lemon its a lemon.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:42 AM
Senior Administrator

Why would yu change the filter and NOT change the oil? THAT seems a bit retarded, to me

Old 03-28-2007, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

like every 5000 milesjust filterand then both oil and filter at 10,000. plus its a small displacement motor, so 8.4 quarts goes a long way compared to 5 or 6 quarts on keeping it clean. 25 years i've commuted to nyc and all i've ever done was kept all the fluids clean with basic tune ups and all of those cars went beyond 200,000 miles and ibeat on then religiously. retard!

Old 03-29-2007, 05:24 PM
Senior Administrator

careful with the name calling! I'm a yadda-yadda-yadda, whatever-whatever-whatever, yadda-yadda-yadda around here, and I deserve some drone-drone-drone, drone-drone-drone, drone-drone-drone...

So, anyway, I've BEEN to school a time or two, I *get* the intervals, and I too tend towards delivering religious beatings (sometimes on cars) and regular maintaince. I'm just tryin to relate that it *seems* counterintuitive (I'll wait while you go look that word up... ... ... ... ... ... ... googled it? You di? OK, I'll ontinue) to change the filter WITHOUT also changing the oil.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

you said changing the oil filter not the oil seemed retarded. what i ment to say was you seem to be empty headed.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Senior Administrator

I said changing the oil filter WITHOUT changing the oil AT THE SAME TIME seemed retarded, and I stand by that statement. The oil quantity, and it's general amount of work, hard or otherwise, notwithstanding, slapping a new filter on your motor isn't the same level of care as changing thefilter AND oil simultaneously. When you (assuming you) get regular checkups at the doctors office do you have your care-provider STOP at checking your temp and respiration? When you (assuming you) stop to have a bit to eat at a resturant are you satisfied if your wait-staff simply seats you, takes your order, yet otherwise ignores you until time-to-pay comes around? Or, do you feel "better" about your experience if they stop by, periodically, to askif there is any thing else they can do for you?

Your estimation as to the relative volume vis-a-vis the contents of my cranium suggests to ME a certain amount of mental myopia affecting your judgement. Might wanna get that checked out.

Let me put this another way, Nick. *I* addressed the CONCEPT you were relating to *us* based on a conversation you had with your mechanic. *YOU* chose to call me a name. If you want to continue along those lines we can, in this thread, if you like. But, ultimately, you WILL lose. Instead, I suggest we go about our own ways of caring for our vehicles. Me, in the manner and habits I've developed over 30-some-odd years of caring for the cars I drive, and you based on some schitt someone else told you.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:38 PM

itsa V8 so its a laid back sort of car for the connoisseur and 10k for the oil and oil filter is about right so I do it every 6k to be safe and only use the best oil