Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

The 'ol water leaking on the freakin' feet problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:05 PM
1st Gear
Default The 'ol water leaking on the freakin' feet problem!

I know this isn't a new topic for this forum. After a car wash this weekend I had a pretty good flow of water fall onto my feet while driving home. I searched some previous posts about this but couldn't really get a feel for whether or not this is a problem that will be covered under warranty.

Interstingly, my dealership installed a new homelinkmodule (under warranty) but told me the new one didn't work either so they traced it to thethe contactsand apparently discoveredthat the contacts had been soaked at some point. They suggested that the car had driven through a large amount of water or that it had perhaps been flooded! So literally, on the way home from the dealer is when I got the car washed and had the leak for the first time. So my thought is, and would love to hear some feedback from everyone, the contacts probably got soaked because of the problem with the drains not draining appropriately. Possible? Covered under warranty? Thanks!!

-Mark

Old 05-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Default RE: The 'ol water leaking on the freakin' feet problem!

I have an '01 S8 that has water on the feet issues. It seems as though an A/C condenser catch basin in the dash is filling up with condensation. When the A/C runs for long periods of time, I actually have a water sloshing sound from behing the center console/radio. When I take a corner fast (often) I then get that super cold water on my right foot. I also notice that I don't get that condensation on the ground under the car when I park it. Usually there are two large puddles under the car from the condensation runoff. My mechanic (very good mechanic) has not had the time to put it on the lift and take off all those panels that coat the entire underside of the chassis to locate the exit holes for the drains. It comes from either side of the transmission tunnel but are not visible without removing things from under the car. I assume it is possible to get at that resevoir from behind/under the dash? That may be an issue on the newer A8/S8 as well, so if anyone has any suggestions, they would be most appreciated. Thanks, Brad

I also had problems with water collecting in a resevoir at the base of the center of the windshield (always a problem after rain or a car wash). A piece of narrow tubing taped to a shop vac got rid of the water and also cleaned out an entire collection of leaves that evidently was clogging things up. I don't have problems with water there any more, but still have the water on the feet issue from under the dash.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:03 PM
1st Gear

Update....have taken the car in twice since this post. Dealership thought they fixed the leak issue. Said they had no idea that there was any sort of drain line that ran toward the driver side.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:27 PM
1st Gear

continued from previous post: Supposedly cleaned the drain so I was good to go. Couple days later the Cole Haans are soaked walking into my office. Took it back today without any resolution. They have no idea. They opened a tech line to see if anyone else is dealing with this issue. The only good news is that they witnessed the no-start issue that so many A8's have. They ordered part. I didn't get any paperwork today so I'll share any tech notes once I take it back.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

any word on this yet?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

So far so good. Nothing new though about the problem. Supposedly there were leaves or other blockage in the drain line(s). I questioned this because they said they cleaned before and the drain lines were clear after the last time I was in and the car had absolutely not been anywhere near trees or pine needles etc. Regardless, I've washed the car twice since and we've had one strong rain and haven't had the leak again.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Default RE: The 'ol water leaking on the frea

http://www.audiforum.ca/general-audi...out-vents.html

Old 08-24-2008, 09:54 PM

I had the same problem on my -97 A8. There is a drain hose under the car from the condense water basin. It clogs up but its an easy fix. As far as the newer cars I would still check the drain hose.

Johan

Old 12-21-2008, 11:53 PM

There are drains located on both sides of the radio console under the panels. The panels can be removed and the water drained after detaching the orange drain tubing. Be ready to collect the runoff as it can be significant.The orange tubing emptys under the car and can be blown out with compressed air. Apparently they are called cowl drains which empty the condensation from the a/c and water which enters from the carwash. Not a very smart setup given the location of the electrical control wiring under the right floor mat.