Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Opinion on this D3 A8 - Going to see later tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Opinion on this D3 A8 - Going to see later tonight...

Hi all, now that I'm approaching my mid 20's and have a "career path" established, I'm looking to upgrade from my 02 Civic/02 Golf TDI daily drivers, and into an A8L.

I've been wrenching on my own since I can remember (both the civic and TDI are rebuilt title cars that I brought back from the dead, along with countless other projects my father and I have worked on since I was little), so I've done just about everything a competent "at home" wrencher can be expected to do on a car

That being said, I'm going to go see this 2006 A8L later tonight...
Some feedback would be great!

Brilliance Auto | Pre-owned Dealer | Union, New Jersey

Owner just traded it in on an '11 A8L, so salesman said it's pretty mint, he's an Audi enthusiast, blah blah blah.

Any CONCRETE way to tell if the timing belt was already done? The salesman is supposed to call me back. He said all of their cars go through a 200pt inspection and that he would check with their master tech...

I'd almost rather do it myself anyways, get the proper OE kit for TBELT, thermostat, etc, and use this as a bargaining chip.

Also, did the D3 A8's ever come with an ALCANTARA headliner from factory??
From the pics I can see them in the door card inserts, but I don't think the headliner and pillars are.

Thanks!! I'll bring my VCDS down when I go check out the car.

Edit: I'm thinking of sticking with the '06 to avoid the Direct Inject engine? Or am I making it a bigger issue than it should be? Is a cleaning every 50K all that's needed to resolve that?
I'm also eventually planning to retro fit a backup camera once I take care of the other necessities: Brakes, Oil Change, general tune up type stuff.

Last edited by MKIV_TDI; 10-17-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:11 PM
1st Gear

Dealer service records are the only sure-fire way to tell if the TB has been done.

I seem to recall you could order the full leather and Alcantara as options.

Make sure to get a copy of Bentley, or access erWin for a day to get all the factory service manuals.

When you scan the car, do it after the test drive in case any previous DTCs have been cleared.
Also check the readiness bits as they can hide things that make take more drive cycles to show up.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:12 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jakematic
Dealer service records are the only sure-fire way to tell if the TB has been done.

I seem to recall you could order the full leather and Alcantara as options.

Make sure to get a copy of Bentley, or access erWin for a day to get all the factory service manuals.

When you scan the car, do it after the test drive in case any previous DTCs have been cleared.
Also check the readiness bits as they can hide things that make take more drive cycles to show up.

Jake, thanks for the heads up on the VCDS only AFTER the test drive!

Also, not much info on the carfax...

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=SHR_3

Last edited by MKIV_TDI; 10-17-2014 at 03:34 PM.