Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Problem with my MMI screen opening and closing

Old 01-03-2008, 08:20 AM
1st Gear
Default Problem with my MMI screen opening and closing

Has anyone had problems with their MMI screen opening and closing? When my screen tries to open up the cover slides about ¼ to a 1/3 of the way open and stops. The mechanism continues to try to open its self and then stops when it cannot. If I “help” the cover slide up then the screen will pop up but it sounds like it is off a track or something because of the noise it makes. When the screen goes to close I again help it by gently pushing the screen down when it sticks. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be. I cannot see anything obstructing the screen or cover.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:09 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Problem with my MMI screen opening and closing

Mine needs a little help at very cold temperatures... more than -15C. Otherwise it works but the action is a little rough. I will see if they can do anything about it when i bring it in next week. 2004 A8L

Old 01-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Site Moderator

Its the opening and closing motor the screen sits on, they commonly go out. Most of the time the motor gets stuck and makes a clack clack clack noise when trying to open it. The motors aren't terribly expensive though (around $300) which is the good news. The dash has to come apart to get the motor out, but the A8 is pretty easy to take apart so it should only be a couple of hours of labor.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:28 PM

what about the screen stuck in the up position and nothing else works (screen is off, none of the MMI buttons work etc.)
About 5 months ago, I noticed that the system once in a while resetting by itself when I'm driving. Then all of a sudden, the screen turned off and all mmi functions stopped working. I didn't go to the Audi dealer yet - fearing an extremely expensive repair.

Any ideas?

Old 01-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: macmedia

what about the screen stuck in the up position and nothing else works (screen is off, none of the MMI buttons work etc.)
About 5 months ago, I noticed that the system once in a while resetting by itself when I'm driving. Then all of a sudden, the screen turned off and all mmi functions stopped working. I didn't go to the Audi dealer yet - fearing an extremely expensive repair.

Any ideas?
That sounds like a software issue, it probably just needs a re-flash to up-date the system, it shouldn't cost anything more than a hour of labor. Its fairly common on the 04 models.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

If the MMI is updated, is that equivalent to re-flashing the system? Or should it just be re-flashed?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Leslie

If the MMI is updated, is that equivalent to re-flashing the system? Or should it just be re-flashed?
Im not sure you got what i was saying to the other member. What he was complaining about is the MMI would just turn off completely, just tuns black while driving. Which would be a software issue, and there are TSB's out there for that.

If your having problems with the screen opening and closing 99% chance you need a new opening/closing motor for the MMI.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:11 AM
1st Gear

Just after I made my post regarding my screen having problem going up & down, my MMI is doing the same thing as macmedia’s , so that’s why I was asking. I’m feel a bit stupid right now, I’m trying to figure out what you mean by TSB's.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Site Moderator

TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin, it means audi has a specific repair for a certian problem, its then filed in a data base for technicians to access.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

I have an appointment to take the car in for service tomorrow afternoon at the Audi dealer. I feel at times that the dealer we have here can take advantage of you IF they think you don’t understand what is wrong with your car. When I go in tomorrow I’d like to give them the impression that I have a pretty good idea what the problem is, what the likely fix is and approximately how long it will take to fix the problems.Would it be reasonable for me to think that the MMI not staying on should be able to be fixed in 1-2 hrs and my other problem with the screen having trouble opening might be fixed with a couple of hrs labour and a new motor which should be around $300?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with my MMI screen opening and closing