Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Problem with my MMI screen opening and closing

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Problem with my MMI screen opening and closing

If its a customer pay job they have to use a Mitchell manual for the repair time which is around 3-4 hours of labor to do the motor, plus the price of the motor which is around $300 i think. All dealers will try to "upsell" you, most likely they will come back with a quote to do the brakes and upper control arms on the A8. I would say the entire repair cost will be around $600 to fix the MMI.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the heads up you have been a great help.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

A strange thing happened tonight when I had the car out. As usual I tried getting the MMI to work and the usually happened, it shut down. Just before I got home I decided I would try starting the MMI one more time. When it initialized the MMI this time I decided for some reason to push the Navigation button. The button seemed like it was stuck. I pushed it a couple of times and the next thing you know the MMI seems to be working properly. Go figure.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Site Moderator

If you press a whole bunch of buttons the MMI will turn itself off normally. There is also three buttons you press at once to re-set the system which might help, it should be in the owners manual.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:13 PM

Auditech79 thanks for that info I have a similar problem on my 06 A8 where the pop us screen works fine but just does a violent clicking/shaking thing for about 5 seconds when the screen first pops up. I took it to the local audi dealer today and hope to gawd its not more than 600 or *crosses fingers* less....

Old 01-16-2008, 02:40 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: auditech79

If its a customer pay job they have to use a Mitchell manual for the repair time which is around 3-4 hours of labor to do the motor, plus the price of the motor which is around $300 i think. All dealers will try to "upsell" you, most likely they will come back with a quote to do the brakes and upper control arms on the A8. I would say the entire repair cost will be around $600 to fix the MMI.
Well I have to say that I was really disappointed in the dealer. After an hour and a half the only thing they accomplished with my car was to change the Miles to Klms. At first they tried to tell me that the problem with my MMI screen not going up and down properly was a software issue. I said to the guy, I can hear the screen struggling and almost spinning its self out going up and going down so how can this possibly be a software issue. He insisted it was a software issue and I suggested otherwise. Long story short he checked with the tech again on this, and ended up telling me that the problem was the motor. I asked him for a quote on replacement and he told me the motor was just under $500 and 3 to 4 hrs for labor. Right now I have more faith in the mechanic that I use home here to work on my car than the Audi dealership. Is it possible to purchase the motor that I need from another source other than the dealer?

Old 01-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah, un-fortunately most dealers don't have A8 certified techs. The motor really isn't that hard to replace believe it or not.
If you have a small set of metric tools and some time you could replace it yourself if you wanted to. Un-fortunately NO ONE carries parts like that other than the dealer, remember prices at the dealer are NOT set in stone, the parts guy makes money off commission. So you can probably get $100 off the part if you press him and he would still make money. The part probably costs the dealer only$200.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM
1st Gear
Default flip screen

the problem with your screen is the sliding mechanism behind the screen. im having the same problem right now, and im checking with the dealer to see if they sale like a repair kit for it. the only thing the needs to be replaced is an small plastic gear.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:21 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Leslie
Has anyone had problems with their MMI screen opening and closing? When my screen tries to open up the cover slides about ¼ to a 1/3 of the way open and stops. The mechanism continues to try to open its self and then stops when it cannot. If I “help” the cover slide up then the screen will pop up but it sounds like it is off a track or something because of the noise it makes. When the screen goes to close I again help it by gently pushing the screen down when it sticks. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be. I cannot see anything obstructing the screen or cover.
I had exactly the same problem with the screen.
this is due to a broken gear. I bought new here Audi A8 MMI Screen Repair Kit Replacement Gear 4E0857273D | Vanos BMW Repair kit Disa BMW Repair kit Repair kits for car, it really works.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:42 AM
Banned

I remember that I had the same problem. I was looking for different solutions to this issue but none were good enough. So I decided to return my sound bar to the online store. Luckily, it was still covered by warranty. I am from the UK , postcodefinder.net. Later I bought a different modification and it was not problem at all. Thus, the conclusion is to avoid Signa S1.

Last edited by amnazid; 12-25-2020 at 05:21 PM.