Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Quick audio help please guys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Quick audio help please guys...

Hi, I have just bought a 2005 A8 4.2 The car hasn't been exactly cherished, but is a good start point. I traded my '98 A8 S line for it. Anyway, on the new car, I'm having problems with the CD player. Mainly it won't let me change tracks on any particular disc. The display changes the track number, but the time counter and the music being changed doesn't change. Any ideas?

I have reset the MMI, but to no avail. I've taken all the discs out and started over, exactly the same!

Now just the tpms, airbag, and TC lights to deal with....

Oh yeah, and 'high beams' doesn't illuminate the same lighst as 'flash and hold' on the column stalk. WTF?

Thanks...

Old 12-07-2011, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

I would just spend $30 and get a new CD changer that can handle MP3's.
Part # 4E0057110E if you can find it, and you'll need to have "component protection" removed by Audi so the car doesn't think its stolen.

On the high beam, there is a setting in MMI under:
Car=> Systems => Exterior Lighting =>High Beam =>On

Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

cool, thanks man. i'll check that out. when I hit high beams it lights up the sky, or the top of the trees, but it's different lights to those that come on when i pull and hold the headlight flash... I'll check the MMI.
$30? where do i get a multi-changer for $30?
CC

Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

You should adaptive bixenons that a shutter goes up and down for high beam - that's what I get by pulling the lever.
Since I changed my dash to ROW (rest of world) to get rid of annoying beeps I've heard it works differently but haven't had time to test.
That might be what's going on with yours.

I got the CD from WorldImpex.
Everywhere I checked it was out of stock so I didn't post any links.
Never bothered to install it so it's in the box in my office still.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:28 AM
1st Gear

It's weird with the lights. When I pull and hold the stalk into the 'flash' position, I get the expected high beam pattern. When i push the stalk forward into what should be the high beam position, I DON'T get that same light pattern, but just very very high set beams up in the tree tops. weird. Do you want to sell the multichanger? LOL

Changed dash to ROW? can you explain that please?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 AM
1st Gear

The instrument cluster can be changed to ROW with VCDS (VAG-COM) from Ross-Tech, along with a zillion other things on these vehicles.
It's an invaluable diagnostic tool that pays for itself in no time - my dealership charges $135 for a diagnostic and $105/hour for most labor.

I used it to turn off the seatbelt chime first.
A lot of times I'll get to a meeting early and sit in the parking lot but don't want to hear the ding if I unhook the seatbelt.

I also take a lot of customers to lunch in my car and the door open chime drives me nuts.
Changing it to ROW turns all the incessant dings off. Audi A8 (4E) Instrument Cluster - Ross-Tech Wiki
It however will change your trip computer to Metric which I don't mind.

See this thread starting at post #5 about 55W halogens in addition to high beams.
It's not clear to me which ones they are because I don't drive much at night.
Are you in the US? Seems odd it would be set to ROW on your A8, unless some nutjob like me had it

Sure, I'll sell the CD changer. Probably never get around to installing it anyway.
The idea of being able to play MP3 CD's sounded cool at the time, but I listen mostly to Sirius.
$30 shipped to a US address. PM me if interested.