Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Rear License Plate Fastener

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:49 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear License Plate Fastener

Does anyone know how I can get my hands on one of the four fasteners/nuts that fastens the rear license plate to the license panel (receives the tag bolt)? Each fastener travels in its own vertical slot to accommodate various sized (height) license plates. Each fastener/nut has brackets on the sides so that they remain in / slide along the slot. Somehow the car's previous owner pushed one fastener through the slot and now its rattling around inside my trunk lid

I have looked on all the Audi parts websites and have found several diagrams of the trunk lid area - but it appears that for 2008 the license panel was considered one "part" so the fastener/nuts aren't sold separately.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Old 03-03-2012, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem when I bought mine. Here is how I solved it. I got rid of all of them. I used a small needle nose pliers and bent in the tabs that allow them to slide and pulled them out. I then replaced them with something similar to these:

Dorman/12 pcs. 1/4 x 3/4 in. License Plate Hardware Kit with Pan Head Screw (785-500) | License Plate Hardware Kit | AutoZone.com

I believe I bought a universal kit when I was there. I had 3 different sizes if I remember and was just a couple of dollars.

I've had them on for over a year with an altec license plate frame and have not had any issues. Simple, cheap and effective.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Rear License Plate Fastener

Hi WNTITAL:

Thanks for the suggestion - that would have definitely worked and I will keep that link in case I need another in the future.

What I ended up doing was going down to my local auto body shop - which happens to specialize in Audi and BMW bodywork almost primarily - and they pulled a few fasteners off another A8 which was a "total loss." They were nice enough not to charge me so I slipped the guy at the front desk $5 for his trouble.

Interestingly, the fasteners they pulled off the "donor" car - which seems to be a few years older than mine - were also plastic like the ones in the link you suggested.

Thanks again!