Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

"SAFE" in Trip Odometer...what does it mean?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 AM
1st Gear
Default "SAFE" in Trip Odometer...what does it mean?

So the dealer had my car yesterday doing diag on the SAI. I get the car back and drive home...no issues. Get in this morning and start it up and the word "SAFE" appears in the trip odometer location. No button pressing can get rid of it. After driving to work and shutting the car off and then turning it back on, it's gone.

I've heard it could be an immobilizer/key issue? Anyone have any experience with this?

Attached Thumbnails "SAFE" in Trip Odometer...what does it mean?-photo-6-.jpg  
Old 12-09-2011, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

Per the manual:

"If an unauthorized key is inserted into the ignition lock, SAFE will appear in the odometer display"

"You may not be able to start your vehicle if an ignition key of a different vehicle make is also located on your set of keys"

It probably lost it's sync with the key or there was something else on your keychain or in the area that it also saw.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

Thanks...didn't even think to look at the manual.

Perhaps it's visit to the dealer yesterday confused the car

Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

LOL that must be it.

Like how my dog gets nervous at the vet and just wants to go home

Old 04-01-2015, 09:38 AM
1st Gear
Default A6 2008 Dash showing SAFE, car running radio works but no guages and internal lights

hi, the battery died few days back on my Audi A6 2008 2.0D multitronic. I thought car not starting because of key fob mismatch so i tried to do the 5 times unlock ignition procedure but to no avail. Called the breakdown guy he charged the battery and here you go all sorted, car started key works fine for next two days over the weekend. Came back Monday on work fine parked the car but for a while car refused to lock by the key fob anyway it worked. After work opened the car with fob started everything fine but after 2 minutes "SAFE" appeared on Dash with no fuel, temp and rpm guage working also no internal lights. Car is still running after 3 days has done over 400 miles. the Sat nav and MMI works radio works except the bits i mentioned. Dont know what to do, dont want to go to dealer and hand him £150. i have another spare key fob with no battery, shall i try that with the new battery or will it possibly screw it more. Thanks guys for listening to me