Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Shoud I buy it?

Old 02-14-2007, 02:10 AM
1st Gear
Default Shoud I buy it?

I live in Alaska and have been looking to upgrad my 1995 audi a6 quattro to a audi a8 quattro. My question to all of you is: should I fly down to Portland from Anchorage Alaska and take a look at this car? It seems to me tat the car is in mint condition except for the body. The body problems don't bother me at all so that is not a decision maker for me. I just want to know what other A8 owners think of this car. Thanks a whole bunch. Hey is anyone knows of a a8 quattro around Seattle for the same price let me know.
link to car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 02-14-2007, 01:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Shoud I buy it?

I think thats just not a good amount to spend on a 97 A8 with that kind of mileage. Methinks you're only gonna get you you pay for, judging by the $5K Buy It Now price. Remember, the sum of its parts will be more expensive than the whole. Repair bills WILL be extremely painful, so if you have the means - its better to spend somewhere between $13-17K on a later D2 A8 with lower mileage and a less exciting service record. These cars are only as good as their condition and mileage, it all depends on how long you plan to keep it and how much you'll be able to afford to keep it going. IMHO paying anything under $10K for an A8 is basically leasing it for an undetermined period of time.

I dont mean to try and talk you out of the idea of buying a used A8, its just that these cars are only a steal up to a certain point. In buying my A8 I gave foremost consideration to how many years I would plan to own one, from what mileage to what mileage, and the miles that I would put on it each year.

BTW, how many A8s do you see up in Alaska, in, say, a year?

Old 02-14-2007, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

I have been watching the market and 1 comes up every couple of months

Old 02-14-2007, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cool_kyle_3000

I mean, like, on the streets.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: HansBlix

ORIGINAL: cool_kyle_3000

I mean, like, on the streets.
Gud point. I'll bet it's rarerer than hens teeth... Which means parts are going to be either non-existant, or through-the-roof expensive, or BOTH! Most likely both, huh?

What Hans said. Honestly, I'd consider it, ONLY because of teh price, and ONLY as a donor car for stuff that I KNOW will eventually wear out, or break OFF of MY CAR! So, if you don't get it, which I'm thinking we're all suggesting against, cudja have the owner contact ME, HERE on AF. I cud prolly use about 15% of the parts on that car, NOW!!! Which would just about cover the $5K pricetag, + $600.00/gas to driveit back to DC (praying ALL the way)