Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Squeak coming from drivers rear wheel well area

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 10:19 PM
1st Gear
Default Squeak coming from drivers rear wheel well area

OK here's a weird one, my 2000 A8 has a squeaking noise that comes from the drivers side rear wheel well area. It doesn't matter if the car is moving or stopped. I usually happens upon start up and only lasts for a few minutes then goes away. It drives me nuts and no one seems to know know what it is. Help Help Help. Thank U!

Old 04-18-2006, 12:54 AM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Squeak coming from drivers rear wheel well area

I think what yu have is one of the hamster powered A8's. The squeaking yu hear when it's stopped is the l'il beastie "pre-loading" the rubberband that turns the axles. The "motor" in the front is just an empty shell...

Seriously, how is it squeaking without moving? I don't think I've ever even remotely "HEARD" of a symptom like that...[&:]

Old 04-18-2006, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

I have creaking from my front drivers side. My mechanic thinks one of the strut mount bushings is bad.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:33 AM
1st Gear

Thanks AWDaholic you have been a big help, I looked and what do ya know no hamsters anywhere BUT I did locate 310 horses under the hood and 1 big rat on the AUDI Forum Website..thanks again for your help

Hopefully my first experience on this site isn't indicative of what is to come. I joined and posted in hope that someone might know about the squeaking problem and be able to share a solution instead I get a smug and waste my time reply from you. I am asking that you do not reply to this or any other posts that I may make. Shame on you!

Old 04-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Senior Administrator

Take a pill. I'm the humorist, OK? You're female, aren't you?

So, anyway, the SECOND part of my post WAS a legitimate question.
- HOW is it squeaking while NOT in motion?
-> There are several rotating bits that do their part to translate all that 310 hp into forward motion.
-> A squeak while ROLLING could be brakes, or bearings, or even an axle in extreme situations.
- You say it's squeaking while stand still?!?!? That suggests something non-speed dependant, if that's the case. Something not related to the mechanical process of making your car go...

- If it IS speed dependent, then the next question would be: Is it cyclical? By that I mean, is it repetitive in natire, or a constant high-pitched noise?

For someone who dint rilly give out much in teh way of information, other than the fact that you have a "squeak," you seem awfully touchie.

As with any open, online forum, there are lots of, and many varied characters, on here. I am one of them. Many others are better, I'm sure, as there are many who you'd deem WORSE than I.

You know what? While I was busy being impressive with my diagnostic cognitive abilities it dawned on me what you were listening to.

Do this Rudi:

Get someone to help you, you'll need a second set of hands not attached to you.
1) Open your trunk and hand your partner the keys. Have them go sit behind the wheel but DO NOT insert the keys into the ignition, just yet.
2) Along the interior drivers'-side of the trunk, just behind the wheel arch you should see a panel with two release levers. Depress them and pull the panel off. DON'T TOUCH anything, you could render your car mute if you screw with any of this highly sensitive equipment!
3) Have your compatriot now insert the key in the ignition switch and turn it on but, and this is important, DO NOT start the car.
4) you will now know what the squaek is coming from.
5) Do be so kind as to come back here and post exactly what the squeak is coming from; in the off chance that some other new member (see, I dint even use the derogatory term "n00b") is similiarly befuddled by their car's noises and, rather than tracing the problem themselves, comes here to blame others for their troubles, and may wish to do a "search" to discover what the issue might be, as opposed to engaging us BIG RATS in name-calling contests to find out what the deel-EE-o is...

I apologize for being funny in your time of obvious grief and consternation concerning your most precious of items.

You're Welcome for the information...

And, Welcome to the forums.

edyt: Thank you for the "Big Rat" comment, BTW. I've been working out, as you can see from my AV, and am appreciative when people acknowledge the effort I've put into it

Old 04-23-2006, 01:40 AM
Senior Administrator

Hey MIKE!!! You met ED, yet? https://www.audiforums.com/m_259057/tm.htm