Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Test Drive today

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Test Drive today

Hi everyone. Looking for some information and advice on a 2001 Audi A8L I test drove today.
The car is silver and looks super clean. It has 74K miles on it and they are asking $15,900.
Are there any things I should look out for? Is there a big service due on it anytime soon? From my research, it seems like a pretty good price. Also there is no CD for the Nav system with it so that is something I would have to purchase. Dealer told me you can buy one for $80-100 on line. Any advice is appreciated. Cheers.

PS I did read the post down below and have looked at the checklist for buying an A8. Very helpful. Just wondering if there is anything specific to the 01 A8L and what you think of that price.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Default RE: Test Drive today

I just bought an 01 A8L also recently and I love it. I used the checklist from Audipages.com and had the car inspected. Everything checked out fine. It came with an extended warranty so I had little fear of major repair costs. Do you plan on doing any of the maintenance work (oil, brakes, etc.) yourself? If not, get an estimate on anything needed once you have it inspected (definitely have it inspected - for $150-250 it's well worth it). Some dealers say the timing belt/water pump service should be done as early as 70K miles while the manual says 105K. If that's already been done then that's a bonus.
Again, have it inspected.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM
1st Gear

So went for another look at it today. Asked the dealer about service history and there really is not any after around 50/60K, when the warranty expired. He seems firm on the 15,900 hes asking but he is giving me a good price on my trade in - 7,000 for a 98 4Runner with 100K on it.
Will prob have a mechanic look at it on Wednesday. Heres a couple pics of the big biotch.

Or not I guess.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

Looks like I may buy this on Friday all going well when I take it to a mechanic. It does not have the 6 disc cartridge or the manual with it. The dealer told me he would get those for me. Hope he isnt full of ****. Any one have any ideas where to get the Nav system CD for the Boston area.
I've looked around and have had no luck so far.
Cheers

Old 02-15-2008, 01:43 AM
1st Gear

Even though I'm talking to myself.... I bought the car today. Check engine light has already come on. Hope it just needs to be reset or is this a sign of things to come? Rear defroster seems very weak. Switch for the sunroof has popped out of its housing. Love the engine though and the car as a whole. Its like driving an airplane or something.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 AM

Congratulations on your purchase. Did you have the car inspected? The tech should have been able to tell you what the code was for the check engine light. These cars are awesome to drive. Regarding the nav CD's, I recently saw some on Craigslist so hopefully you'll be able to find some.
Enjoy the car.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

I am loving this car so far. Had snow on the Cape here today and it handled like a charm - very surefooted as you would expect. The check engine light ended up being a seal at the top of the gas tank which the dealer paid to fix.
Looking around for some Nav CDs right now. Found some on Fleabay but they are from 2001 so looking for some more recent ones. Any one have any spares for the New England area??

Old 02-27-2008, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

And the next problem is............
Drivers side, rear floor was wet this morning. (We had heavy rain yesterday). Looked under the mats in the front and they were soaked through and the water obviously drained backwards.
Brought it back to my friendly second hand car dealer and he is going to look at it on Friday.

I have also experienced the problem I have seen some people on here mention. Everyonce in a while moving away from a stop sign or light, press the gas................... and nothing. Stays like that for a little while and the best method seems to be lay off it and then gas it again. Very strange for a 70K odd vehicle.