Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

thinking of buying a 1999 a8 with 136k mile,

Old 02-02-2010, 03:35 AM
1st Gear
Default thinking of buying a 1999 a8 with 136k mile,

any suggestions, are they good cars bad cars what common problems do they have?what kind of maint should i look forward to?

car is as-is where is cant test drive it they say it runs and drives needs front bumper cover and rear bumper cover car is black on black awd 136k miles
for around 2400.00..

any suggestions or help is apreciated,thanks

Last edited by style; 02-02-2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: 4.2 v8 btw
Old 02-02-2010, 11:01 PM
1st Gear

Great car! At the time at least. Just remember you are investing in a car more than 12 years old. (Sold in 1998) you are bound to run into problems or replacements. When the car is fixed up and had the tranny replaced it should run great. But your still looking at purchasing a older car. My suggestion is buy the car if it was 2004 and you had the money to fix it up. Now I'd say pass and invest in something a little more .current. requiring less money and time to be put into.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

I would look seriously at the repair cost, get quotes and consider worst-case-scenarios, then look around at what can be had for similar money. If you still come out in front, go for it. Any used car is a gamble, but if you're like me and have no hope of affording a decent new car anytime soon it's a gamble you have to make. I have an 01 A8 and it's an awesome car.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

I have an 99 a8. if it was maintianed well it's a great car. get it up on a hoist, take it for a drive. awsome ride, lots of power. Read the maintenance and common problems thread https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...t=112161posted by auditech79 in the A8 threads. should give you a better idea. I have had no major problems with mine. Change your oil, flush your tranny, and make sure the timming belt service was done or if it is comming due. If you have some garage skills there is alot of things you can do yourself - http://www.audidiy.com/. for $2400 i say go for it bud! just do you homework.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 PM

I concur with the previous messages. I love my 98 A8. It cost me $5000. BUT, I've put $15,000 into the following little problems: Timing belt, large oil leaks, the cruise control, a new transmission, and new drive shafts/CV joints, and a "little" problem with the airbags. And it would cost an additional $6,000 to repair the non-functional headrests.

I've driven the vehicle 700 miles a week on average; all on the freeway in Washington State. This included crossing the mountains in the winter. The car is a cruisers dream. Tight handling. Smoooooth tranny (when working). And reasonable good gas mileage.

I did get a ticket because I took my eyes of the speedometer and there isn't any feel or sound differences between 70 and 90.

Go in with your eyes open. Due dilligence with a first class mechanic who takes the time to really scope out potential issues is highly recommended.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by gerryinOlyWa
I concur with the previous messages. I love my 98 A8. It cost me $5000. BUT, I've put $15,000 into the following little problems: Timing belt, large oil leaks, the cruise control, a new transmission, and new drive shafts/CV joints, and a "little" problem with the airbags. And it would cost an additional $6,000 to repair the non-functional headrests.

I've driven the vehicle 700 miles a week on average; all on the freeway in Washington State. This included crossing the mountains in the winter. The car is a cruisers dream. Tight handling. Smoooooth tranny (when working). And reasonable good gas mileage.

I did get a ticket because I took my eyes of the speedometer and there isn't any feel or sound differences between 70 and 90.

Go in with your eyes open. Due dilligence with a first class mechanic who takes the time to really scope out potential issues is highly recommended.

Good luck!
$15k..?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 AM

Yes, $15k. I know: I'm an idiot. It's a downpayment + 1 years worth of a 3 year lease on a new one..... It's a long story. Let's just chalk it up to marital issues.... I love the car and I'm not getting rid of it. 'nuff said?

Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by deadeyeknight
I have an 99 a8. if it was maintianed well it's a great car. get it up on a hoist, take it for a drive. awsome ride, lots of power. Read the maintenance and common problems thread https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...t=112161posted by auditech79 in the A8 threads. should give you a better idea. I have had no major problems with mine. Change your oil, flush your tranny, and make sure the timming belt service was done or if it is comming due. If you have some garage skills there is alot of things you can do yourself - http://www.audidiy.com/. for $2400 i say go for it bud! just do you homework.
Everything HE said, PLUS, make sure EVERY electrical switch works what it is supposed to work. Especially seats & head rests. Sunroof. Ciggy lighters. all the console switches. Seats are a common one, from what I've experienced and heard from other owners. Things spilled in the seats tend to kill the motors, I guess.

Biggest thing, mentioned above, timing belt. Find a nice, reputable shop in your area, and have it done if you cannot verify that it has been done. Oil change. Tranny flush. ALL money well spent, prevention-wise.

That being said... If ANY of you guys know of a Silver 2000 w/Black interior in OK shape, any mileage, for sale ANYWHERE in the continental U.S., PM me ASAP!!!

Last edited by AWDaholic; 02-04-2010 at 08:14 AM.