Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

troubling problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 AM
1st Gear
Default troubling problem

Hi all,

I've just purchased an '04 A8L a week ago. I had just taken into the dealer to check/clear some error codes. I was driving off the lot and had just turned onto the entrance ramp to the interstate. I decided to give it a good gas goose up the extended on-ramp to see what it had under the hood. Here's where it gets interesting.
I got it up to about 75 mph in very rapid order to the top of the ramp and then let go of the gas, except the engine speed and acceleration didn't decrease it just kept rising. Almost like the cruise control took over on resume mode. I applied the brake and it slowed down, but as soon as let go of the brake it started to take off again. I went through this routine twice and then I put the transmission in neutral and the engine tach spiked for about a second and then went back to normal revs. I then put the transmission into drive and everything was normal from there on and has been since (for the last four days but I haven't tried to repeat the scenario) the whole episode lasted for about 20 secs or so.
So I guess my questions are:
1) Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so what was the resolution?

2) If something no one's ever heard of before what do I tell the techs to start checking first?

Old 09-12-2008, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

fingers crossed that it's not a major problem, but my old '00 d2 does the same thing. feels as if that's just the way the car is geared. when i picked it up, i was going 90-120 down the PA tpk... whenever i'd let off the gas, it'd slow until around 65-70 mph and stay steady. Seems as if they geared all A8s to keep them rolling without much throttle necessary when at high speeds. It's quite the opposite in traffic.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

I may have found the problem and it's going to be the craziest thing you've heard today.

The dealer has equipped the car with some temporary rubber mats until my factory mats come in. I just checked the gas pedal today and I noticed that the corner of the mat is on top of the pedal. I think (as crazy as this sounds) is that when I goosed it the pedal, it got under the mat and the weight of the mat kept the pedal depressed.Of course it doesn't answer the question of why the tach spiked and returned to normal after I took it out of gear, but maybe the gas pedal just sprung back enough as I was taking out gear. I just have to keep an eye on it I guess.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah the rubber mat problem usually happens when folks install aftermarket ones that are too big. If it wasn't the mat the D3 A8 would have probably about a million fault codes on whats wrong with it. Too many control modules in those cars, but for the better in most cases. Try taking the mats out and see if the problem magically disapears, it usually does.