Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

2009 Q5 - Rear main seal leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:16 PM
1st Gear
Default 2009 Q5 - Rear main seal leaking oil

Hello guys,

I'm the recent (2nd) owner of a 2010 (manufacture date 7/2009) Q5 2.0T with 82K km on it. I bought it 6 weeks ago from the original owner who put 77.5K km on it in 8 years. I already put 4K km on it, with zero big issues that I could notice including a 1,500km road trip.

This Q5 has a full service history at the only Audi dealership in my country (Uruguay), it was affected by the oil consumption issue and fixed by Audi with zero cost for the owner, this was in 12/2015 when it had 65K km on it. It wasn't a full engine replacement but it was pretty comprehensive, new pistons, rings, rods, chain, chain tensioner, water pump, spark plugs and seals. Later on, in August 2016 it had the gearbox and clutch serviced, again under warranty as per the car history, and as per the dealer this was a pretty expensive service as well and that the car should be good for another 100K km.

So, as I said, bought it 6 weeks ago with no warranty, but with a service "tap" open by the former owner worth $5K in repairs for known issues within 6 months of purchase date. Here's the list of things I've addressed so far using that money (prices include parts & labor)

- New windshield: $600 (it was cracked when I bought the car), got $200 back from my insurance company
- Preventive checks performed by Audi: $250 (they checked the whole car for issues)
- New battery: $300 (it was good to me but dealership suggested a new one within 3 months)
- New windshield blades: $90 (front and rear)
- New AC filter & freshener: $80
- New sunroof curtain, rails & motor: $2,200 (ridiculously expensive!, scheduled for next week)
- New Rear Main Seal: $700 (scheduled for next week)

My main concern is the RMS as it was supposedly changed when the engine was rebuilt, it lasted "only" 2 1/2 years. Dealership said that it could happen for many reasons and that I'll get 1 year of warranty on any of these repairs. BTW, the oil leak I noticed is very minor, just a few drops every night on the right side of the vehicle, oil level didn't change a bit since I've got the car (both on screen and dipstick measure) and since dealership left a note about "oil sweat" when they checked the car they did some further inspections and blamed the RMS.

So, is it possible for a RMS to fail after such a short amount of time? Aren't they supposed to last longer?

In addition to this, since I still have a few bucks to spend, what else do you think I could address? Let me say that tires & brakes were serviced recently and are good. There's a little shuddering when cornering at low speeds on flat surfaces like polished concrete, I read something about this but not sure if it's a big issues or I better spend money elsewhere.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you guys as much info as possible.

Thanks,
Iggy.

PS: Bluetooth module is not working, acknowledged by the former owner, error code read by Carista is 01303. To be honest I don't even care about this since I plan to install an aftermarket solution, this car came with the "fake" MMI, it looks like MMI but it's not even close in terms of features