Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

light switch misbehaves

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

Ok I just got a new 2016 Q5 and this has happened to me 3/4 times already. I'm the main driver so every time my husband sits in the car he asks me why I turn it off and he wont believe me when I say I don't! I'm so glad I found this thread to show him!

But seriously how common can this be with the same model car to so many people ? I'm sure there are tons of others who haven't even thought to write about it online. Let me know if anyone figures this out (besides the knee theory)

Old 06-28-2016, 09:37 PM
1st Gear

Ok just got a new Q5 - same thing happening. Auto lights control switching off. I was sure it was my teenager playing with the controls.

Driving me NUTS. What's the answer?

While the car drives smoothly, the interior of Audi is also a ridiculous setup - you have to hit a switch to then hit a switch to turn down the fan? The radio controls are ridiculous. The NAV is awful! My 9 year old Saturn had controls that were 1000 times easier and made more sense which is shocking to me since it was such a bad car.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

The answer should have been simple, Audi should have issued a new switch ****. A round, low profile ****, so knees wouldn't rotate it.

Failing that I tried to simply pop off the ****, since ***** always pop off. I was going to fab up a new **** "falsie" to change the shape and end the problem.

Nope, the **** is apparently internally secured to the switch mechanism, the entire mechanism has to be removed from the dash and the switch probably has to be unplugged from the harness, and at that point I stopped. I didn't want to start messing with taking apart the dash just to fix a ****.

Come join me at the Barrett Jackson Auctions, where they sell cars that simply impaled you on dangerous toggle switches because they didn't know any better. And problems like this could be fixed with a quick trip to Radio Shack.(G)

Or, report this as a safety hazard to the NHTSA. "Automatic light system including headlights and other lighting can be disabled with no notice to the driver because of incorrect design, which will shut all lighting."

Coupla dozen complaints about this and Audi will receive a letter from NHTSA, which may encourage some action.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Auto light switch is haunted

Is it crazy German engineering that turns off the auto lights when it wants, my wife was complaining her auto light switch was turning it self off. Go figure, she stated it is not possible she is hitting the switch getting in or out. Appears to be manual switch that's possible haunted by German engineering that don't like American's, go figure. Not all the folks complaining have long legs, certainly not my wife. I'm at a loss. Any ideas or do we just duct tape it on, kinda funny on a $49k car that tape has to used, maybe super glue. Oh car is 2014 Q5

Old 11-15-2017, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

Yes Sam, it is established. An Audi ergonomic factor engineer who is still pissed off about losing WW2 designed that switch and did so on purpose. His superiors applauded the concept and retained the design year after year, knowing full well that it has caused lighting failures in a number of vehicles.

You will not use duct tape in the car, that voids the warranty. You are supposed to have plastic surgery, to reduce the length of the thigh bones to 0.4 meters (under 16") in order to avoid disturbing the switch.

Of if you have access to a 3D printer and the means to use it, you could "easily" design a safety cap that would turn the switchplate into a plain dome, which would be more resistant to rotation that the "****" currently is.

Audi could easily provide a modified ****/cover, but of course, that's no fun for them.

And of course there is gaffer's tape, which doesn't leave the same gummy residue that duct tape leaves.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

Looking into the headlight switch turning off on its own it looks like the switch has a bit of spring tension which allows it to rotate with very slight pressure to the off position. Maybe it the bumpy road we live on? Not!!! We will suffer for long time for ww2. It's the little things that make us crazy. You think!!

Old 11-17-2017, 11:56 AM
1st Gear

See the earlier message from 2015 to a different Sam. It isn't the road bumps, it is KNEES. Just smear the lipstick on the switch and she'll eventually find it on her knees, proving they hit it. Just like a crash test dummy. This is just thoughtless design, compounded by an arrogant manufacturer who cannot admit their simple error.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:04 PM
1st Gear

Hello! We just purchased a 2017 Q7 and this same issue has occurred at least 4 times in the less than 2 months that we have owned the vehicle. The first time...I accused my wife. The second...I assumed it was the dealership when it was in for first scheduled service. We do not have long legs and I seriously doubt that we are bumping the switch with our knees. Anyone with any updates/ideas? Thanks!

Old 12-20-2017, 02:16 PM
1st Gear

Sure, Oscar. Everyone else is lying, except the dealer, and your car is haunted. Fill it with garlic and silver crosses and the problem will end.

Or, you just might try reading the earlier CONFIRMED ANSWERS and accepting them as true.

I think you'll like the garlic better.

PS- You owe your wife an apology. Flowers, dinner reservations, and groveling are in order.
You also owe the Audi shop an apology. A good bottle of booze or a $20 bill will be sufficient for that.

Last edited by Redd; 12-20-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Redd
Sure, Oscar. Everyone else is lying, except the dealer, and your car is haunted. Fill it with garlic and silver crosses and the problem will end.

Or, you just might try reading the earlier CONFIRMED ANSWERS and accepting them as true.

I think you'll like the garlic better.

PS- You owe your wife an apology. Flowers, dinner reservations, and groveling are in order.
You also owe the Audi shop an apology. A good bottle of booze or a $20 bill will be sufficient for that.
Redd,

Already tried stabbing the ECU with a wooden spike...no luck. Thanks so much for your genuine concern regarding the demons within my vehicle. I will give the garlic and silver crosses a try since I just can't seem to accept the CONFIRMED ANSWERS.

PS- Regarding the apologies...my wife accused me of switching the lights off as well, so we are even there. I never addressed the issue with the dealer, but just thought they simply turned it to the off position and didn't return it to AUTO. Now that I realize that the vehicle is under demonic control...at least there is a good explanation. Thanks, again for the expert advice and the warm welcome to this forum. Have a Merry Christmas!

Quick Reply: light switch misbehaves