Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

Transmission fluid/filter replacement Q5 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission fluid/filter replacement Q5 3.2

Hello- I have a 2010 Q5 3.2 still under warranty 40k+ some odd mileage. No problems, but I want to change the transmission fluid and filter. I do not believe in 'lifetime' fluid fills and I don't care what Audi has to say about it. After all, they want you to buy a new Audi every five years. I don't care what it is or who makes it if it has a slushbox you have to change the fluid out every 40k or so or risk failure usually right around the time the car comes off warranty. Q5 transmissions are $10k. I tend to keep my cars for long periods of time. This one has a 100k warranty, but still.

Called dealer and they want $1300 for a transmission fluid and filter change. WTF is what I said. That's beyond the pale of ridiculous. Called the only Audi/VW indy around and they want $900. Again, stupid. I mean seriously??? This is my first Audi. I have owned many an MB and currently also drive a 3 series, none of them are this ridiculous to deal with. Having grown up repairing European cars I know what is involved. Audis are unneccessarily complicated in certain aspects so there may be something inherent to the car but in my mind, just replacing the fluid & filter should not be complicated. It's a car not a space shuttle. Hence the sticker shock. If people are paying a thou to get trans fluid changed I'm definitely in the wrong business.

Does anyone know of any DIYs around that may address this procedure. One thing I have noticed is the VAG world seems to be less DIY oriented when compared to BMWs or Benzes. It appears Audi owners are too timid & scared to do their own work and would rather allow the dealer to rip them off. Either that or they just don't have the skills. Whatever the case it just seems odd that Audi people are so dependent on others for maintenance and repair. It's not that way with the other German cars.

I would be grateful for any helpful information. Thanks.