Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

2017 Q7 Factory Towing Package Not Compatible w/Weight Distrubtion Hitches

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 08:48 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jhetrick
Wow, reading all of this is a different experience than I have with my 2014 Q7 TDI Prestige w/ Air Suspension.

It tows my race car on an open trailer (about 4700 lbs.) like it is not there at all! I get 18 MPG while towing. No need for sway control at all. The air suspension just levels it, and there is never any lockout of 7th or 8th gear. Maybe because the engine has so much torque, usually I can pull hills and it just downshifts itself.

I installed a Redarc controller which had a remote button which is all that is visible, so there is no controller hanging underneath the dash in the leg area. The controller can be remote mounted, so I pulled the panel below the steering column and mounted it inside there, drilled 1 hole to mount the control button. I would highly recommend the Redarc to anyone looking for a suggestion. Works flawlessly. Redarc even had the proper harness plugin for it.
That’s great. For one, I suspect the difference is the power/torque of your diesel, vs my gas 4-cyl. Sounds like the 2014 doesn’t have the 6.2” shank limit? And the 440 lbs. tongue weight limit? My guess is that Audi got around the no-WDH on the gas V-6 (and TDI?) by including air suspension - AWD with rear end support via suspension support, not WDH. Not on my 4-cyl., therefore the low tongue weight. Quite frankly, as an engineer, I think the WDH is a cruel thing to do to any car’s structure. 😀

The Curt Bluetooth has worked fine for me.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:17 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Unesimpson1
That’s great. For one, I suspect the difference is the power/torque of your diesel, vs my gas 4-cyl. Sounds like the 2014 doesn’t have the 6.2” shank limit? And the 440 lbs. tongue weight limit? My guess is that Audi got around the no-WDH on the gas V-6 (and TDI?) by including air suspension - AWD with rear end support via suspension support, not WDH. Not on my 4-cyl., therefore the low tongue weight. Quite frankly, as an engineer, I think the WDH is a cruel thing to do to any car’s structure. 😀

The Curt Bluetooth has worked fine for me.
Great points. I would not be comfortable towing hills with the 4 cylinder myself. I had figured with the 6 cyl. 3.0, I would lose gas mileage pretty steep. Being a drag racer, I pull every weekend in the summer, so that would get expensive, although not as bad as racing expenses! 🙄

Good to know the 4 handle it with a light trailer.

​​​​​​