Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Q7 Brake Controller Install

Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Q7 Brake Controller Install

Hi guys!
I have been searching the Internet for days, I've called 5 dealerships, two trailer supply houses, yet I still can't get an answer...

Can somebody please tell me where to get or what the part number is for the harness that plugs in under the dash of a 2011 Q7 TDI with a factory tow package to hook up a trailer brake controller?

I've seen a few people say "I simply plugged in the harness under the dash and wired it to my brake controller" but I can't find where to get the dang harness!

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Re: Brake controller install

Hi, Wondering if you ever got your brake controller problem solved? I have a Q7 '09 and am just running into similar problems. No one wants to install it for me and Audi centers tell me they won't touch aftermarket stuff, so not sure how I bought a vehicle rated for towing with a tow set up and now they won't help me out with and install so I can tow.

I'm hoping you've worked through this problem and have now found success?

Old 03-18-2014, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by wjules
Hi, Wondering if you ever got your brake controller problem solved? I have a Q7 '09 and am just running into similar problems. No one wants to install it for me and Audi centers tell me they won't touch aftermarket stuff, so not sure how I bought a vehicle rated for towing with a tow set up and now they won't help me out with and install so I can tow.

I'm hoping you've worked through this problem and have now found success?
Anyone get this sorted? I pulled my controller off my q5 and once it's a little warmer here I'll peek under my dash to see if my cable fits.

I'm also wondering where others are mounting the controller.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:42 PM
1st Gear
Question Q5 Brake Controller

Hello,

I am having trouble determining if the computerized system in my newly purchased 2011 Q5 performs the functions of a trailer brake controller or not.

Does anyone here have experience with this and know if I need a separate brake controller and if so does that mean an after market one or does Audi make a unit for this function? I have a really hard time accepting that a company like Audi has not thought this through but I keep coming back to needing some darn after-market gizmo installed around the drivers feet which just seems wrong to do to such a well thought out car.

Any help or insight would be really appreciated.

Mark Nay - Pasadena, CA

Old 04-02-2014, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MarkNay
Hello,

I am having trouble determining if the computerized system in my newly purchased 2011 Q5 performs the functions of a trailer brake controller or not.

Does anyone here have experience with this and know if I need a separate brake controller and if so does that mean an after market one or does Audi make a unit for this function? I have a really hard time accepting that a company like Audi has not thought this through but I keep coming back to needing some darn after-market gizmo installed around the drivers feet which just seems wrong to do to such a well thought out car.

Any help or insight would be really appreciated.

Mark Nay - Pasadena, CA
Hello Mark,
I installed all thats needed in to my 2010 Q5 a while back. Are you asking if the 6 pin connector as part of the tow package comes with the ability to controlll your trailer breaks? the answer is kinda. You still need a break controller that isn't supplied by audi. There is a 4 pin connector under your steering wheel where you can create a connector and connect that to an after market break controller.

Does this help or do you have more questions?

Old 04-06-2014, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

I'm about to wire my controller in to the car. According to the paperwork I have, it would appear that the wiring would go as follows:

Car end connector to Tekonsha controler

1 brown to White
2 red/yellow to black
3 black/red to red
4 blue to blue

The numbers are what's listed on the female connector I bought from Audi that plugs in to the male connector under the dash of my Q7.

I'll add pics of my setup which if works out will allow me to remove the controller with ease when not in use and if all works out, will hide the mounting location.

Ah only if ideas were easier to make a reality .

Wish me luck!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Ponch
I'm about to wire my controller in to the car. According to the paperwork I have, it would appear that the wiring would go as follows:

Car end connector to Tekonsha controler

1 brown to White
2 red/yellow to black
3 black/red to red
4 blue to blue

The numbers are what's listed on the female connector I bought from Audi that plugs in to the male connector under the dash of my Q7.

I'll add pics of my setup which if works out will allow me to remove the controller with ease when not in use and if all works out, will hide the mounting location.

Ah only if ideas were easier to make a reality .

Wish me luck!
So just to confirm, although the colors on my car aren't as labeled here, I was able to make the cable and test with my break controller. Next step is mounting so that it's either hidden or removable without signs of having one... lots of ideas with little skills .

Old 05-06-2014, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

So just to confirm, although the colors on my car aren't as labeled here, I was able to make the cable and test with my break controller. Next step is mounting so that it's either hidden or removable without signs of having one... lots of ideas with little skills .
One step closer. I've wired a connector (plug you'd find on a computer power supply that connects to an old hard drive) so now I can easily disconnect my brake controller when not in use.

My next project is the removable mount for the Brake Controller itself. I found the connector I need, now just need to mount.

Wish me luck.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

One step closer. I've wired a connector (plug you'd find on a computer power supply that connects to an old hard drive) so now I can easily disconnect my brake controller when not in use.

My next project is the removable mount for the Brake Controller itself. I found the connector I need, now just need to mount.

Wish me luck.
Here are some pics of my mount both with and without the controller attached,

the reason I wanted this is I didn't want to damage the car and I don't keep the controller on all the time, only when needed.

Sorry about the poor quality pics ... if anyone is interested in the way I did this, I can take better or more detailed ones.

Cost of connections, $0.60
I painted it flat black for looks. $12 in paint
and I had liquid plastic to secure the second part to my break controller. $0.00
Oh and I also wired a computer power supply male/female connector (taken out of a dead computer) for easy connection ... seen in the last pic. $0.00

the wire running across from left to right if my dash cam power cord. Still need to wire that thing in also.

Attached Thumbnails Q7 Brake Controller Install-img_20140512_152807.jpg   Q7 Brake Controller Install-img_20140512_152817.jpg   Q7 Brake Controller Install-img_20140512_152902.jpg   Q7 Brake Controller Install-img_20140512_152912.jpg   Q7 Brake Controller Install-img_20140512_152925.jpg  

Last edited by Ponch; 05-12-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

Hello Ponch. Do you have a part number for the female connector. How did they know to give you the one that fit the male?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q7 Brake Controller Install