Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

NOX Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 04:06 AM
1st Gear
Default NOX Sensor

Hello all,

Newbie to the forum and wondering if anyone has had the unfortunate luck of having to replace the NOX control unit
on a 6 month old Q7, roadside assistance reporting that the cable of the sensor has been chewed on either by a rat or fox therefore warranty does cover animal damage, apparently the part is only distributed by the manufacturer and comes in at a mere £530 incl VAT....Anyone know how I can get this part cheaper or has any other suggestions?

Currently Roadside assistance have insulated the cable, cleared the errors and the car is driveable.

Many thanks in advance.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:23 AM
1st Gear

Update - Had NOX sensor replaced and within 5 days of replacing with a new sensor same damage to same part of the cable, surely it cant be an animal? I left the car in a different location so I am becoming suspicious that there is more to this, so anyone with a Q7 are you having issues with your NOX sensors or have had?
The cabling for the senor is quite exposed and very close to the prop shaft, potentially a lot of heat being generating but I refuse to accept that an animal has caused this. replies and suggestions very welcome ....

Old 11-24-2016, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

Pics attached
Left Pic is original sensor that came with car
Right pic is new sensor bought from Audi for £530 that is damaged within 5 days

Attached Thumbnails NOX Sensor-image1.jpg   NOX Sensor-image2.jpg  

Last edited by bfrancis25; 11-24-2016 at 07:28 AM. Reason: explaining pics
Old 10-09-2017, 02:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Nox sensor - rodent chewed through wire

Hi there, have just come across your thread, I've just had the same thing happen to me, the wire has a clean brake and doesn't look like it's been chewed, although that's what the Audi assist technician said what had happened. What came of your situation? Had any more instances of this happening again?

Newbie to the forum and wondering if anyone has had the unfortunate luck of having to replace the NOX control unit
on a 6 month old Q7, roadside assistance reporting that the cable of the sensor has been chewed on either by a rat or fox therefore warranty does cover animal damage, apparently the part is only distributed by the manufacturer and comes in at a mere £530 incl VAT....Anyone know how I can get this part cheaper or has any other suggestions?

Currently Roadside assistance have insulated the cable, cleared the errors and the car is driveable.

Many thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Old 10-11-2017, 09:33 AM
1st Gear

Hi, new member here also. Have a 66 plate Q7 and had the exact same issue a couple of days ago. I noticed a bunch of wires and the casing on the floor where the car had been parked, the mechanic said it looked like a rodent had chewed through the wires. We get lots of squirrels in our garden so assumed that this was the case, however the above poster has made me think that this may not be the problem after all.

My issue has been resolved through a rewire (rather than a whole nox sensor replacement) but curious as to how any of the above 2 posters have resolved this or have any updates?

I've also dotted some rodent repellent motion sensors around the garden to keep them away.

Thanks