Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Q7 Battery dead, Charge/ Replace Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 05:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Q7 Battery dead, Charge/ Replace Help!

Picked up Q7 had a dead battery, the previous owner started it with a battery pack and it ran fine. I trailered it home and figured maybe I could charge the battery, so I hooked my charger to the jump posts as I'm still not sure where the battery is, some posts mention drivers, others passenger seat and something abt. a special tool to turn off air bags when removing seat ? So I hooked my charger but it acts weird, the dash lights come on and off every few minutes, and I hear clicking so I removed it. So can anyone tell me, can I safely charge the battery from those posts and how and where do I remove my battery ? Also can anyone tell me how to open the rear hatch door, the little juice I have will let me pop the lock, not enough to open, but it seems stuck like I can't manually open it more than a few inches and I don't wanna break it and have yet to fund the manual.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

Yes, you can charge the battery at the remote posts. The strange things you saw are only the battery management system. The posts don't go directly to the battery, they go through the battery management module first. Nothing to worry about.

\The battery is in the floor, under the drivers seat. You need to pull the plastic track covers off the back of the tracks (or they'll break when you tip the seat). Then pull the carpeted panel off the front of the seat and the 2 plastic covers on the floor. Remove the 2 bolts and the seat should tip back. There is no need to unplug or remove the seat from the vehicle and you need to do nothing with the air bag system. THEN, you will find a couple more covers. The battery is under the one with the louvers and filter in it. Piece of cake, lol. Actually, it sounds harder than it really is.

It's a good idea after your done to have all the vehicle fault codes erased. There will be multiple low voltage codes stored. They won't cause any problem with the vehicle, only for future diagnosis IF it needs scanned because of a problem you had. The stored codes can lead the tech to the wrong conclusion.

On the hatch........The resistance is because there's not enough power to run the opener. If you lift a bit harder, the hatch will open. Nothing will break. The opening motors have clutches in them and manually opening will slip them. It is designed for that to happen. Once you have voltage again, the open height may be off. Just push it to the height you want, then push/hold the hatch button in the bottom of the door for at least 5 seconds. The liftgate module will learn the new open position.

Last edited by aspen79; 12-11-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 AM
1st Gear

Thanks man big help