Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

01 TT overheating only at idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Default 01 TT overheating only at idle

I've got this problem, I've seen several threads with problems that were pretty similar...but none that are the same.

When I first start the car, the coolant light flashes on and off for 1 minute and beeps several times. After that 1 minute it's never on anymore.

While driving the car is fine, but when I'm idling at a stop light or anything to that effect the gauge rises up to about 3/4 of the way to max. When I start driving again, the temp gauge slowly moves its way back to 1/2 way. The A/C has little to no effect on whether it overheats or not.

When I shut off the car earlier I heard bubbling, and saw the coolant in the overfill was bubbling. I slowly opened it up to let it vent out. (not sure if I should of or not) So now the coolant level is at the bottom of the overfill reservoir.

The thermostat and coolant temp sensor were both changed about 2 years ago. Although I'd like to do the work myself now as the prices were pretty outrageous for that. If anyone can point me in the general direction for a diagram of an 01 TT so I could do the maintenance myself I'd greatly appreciate that as well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:03 AM

Get a Bentley manual......paper copy or CD. Paper is an easier use.

Peruse sites like:

http://www.wak-tt.com/

that have a lot of the answers.

"coolant light flashes on and off for 1 minute """""

indicates low coolant level.

""""the temp gauge slowly moves its way back to 1/2 way."""

do you have the original water pump? Broken impeller(s)? Fans cycling correctly?

""""""and saw the coolant in the overfill was bubbling.""""

You need to use the HVAC control to monitor temp and go from there.