Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Default 16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1

I have a 2000 TT 1.8L Quattro. My check engine light came on and the enginedoesn't seem to idle right. It seems louderand more rough then it should to me. It also seemed to stutter a bit when starting, dipping down in theRPMs to where it almost stalls. So I bought a cable to connect my laptop and downloaded the shareware version of VAG-COM. It reported the following fault:

17544 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean
P1136 - 35-00 - -

I cleared the code and started it up. It seems to start better then before, but it still doesn't sound right or feel right. I let it idle for a while and then plugged the computer in again. The check engine light didn't come on, but the computer reported the following code:

16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Malfunction in Circuit
P0130 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I've tried googling to see what people think, but I couldn't find much out there. Does it sound like I should just try replacing the oxygen sensor that the DTC is referring to? Or is there something else I should check?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Old 09-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Default RE: 16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1

The car seems louder than normal. I figured the running lean code could be a result of the malfunctioning O2 sensor, but I also thought that the fuel injectors could use a little cleaning. So last night I put some fuel injector cleaner in. Started the car up and after a while the engine seemed to quiet down substantially. I decided I would reset the O2 sensor fault and let it idle for a while to see if any fault codes would appear. No fault codes appeared, but it still seemed like something was up.

So this morning I thought I would drive it around the block a little. The car stalled the first time I tried to start it up. Other than that, the car seemed to drive fine. It didn’t appear to lack power anywhere, but I did not push it too hard since I don’t know what’s wrong. It is still louder than normal though. The higher the RPMs the louder it is too. Also, a few times when I would switch from second gear into third and the RPMs would change the car would make a slight popping/spitting sound. I'm assuming it's backfiring... I had to get to work, so I did not check for fault codes. I will this evening.

What would cause the engine (I think it’s the engine) to run louder than normal and the popping/spitting? Could the O2 sensor make that huge of a difference? I do plan on replacing it, but that can’t be causing all of the problems could it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 PM

im going for an air leak possibly one of the vacuum pipes,
P0130 is intermittent so the O2 sensor is doing its job,
P1136 means an air leak

Old 09-14-2007, 01:23 PM

I’m trying to troubleshoot everything before I spend any money.
Is there an easy way to check for air leaks?
I checked the fault codes again when I got home last night. It came up with the following again:
17544 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Lean
P1136 - 35-00 - -
So I checked the voltage levels that the O2 sensor was reporting to the ECU. At idle the voltage would fluctuate quite a bit. Roughly between .065 and .780. I’m told that this is normal? It’s the ECU trying to find the optimal ratio for emissions while at idle. Would it be safe to bet that the O2 sensor is good even though it previously reported as malfunctioning?
My friend suggested that I unplug the wires to my ignition coils one at a time while running to try and determine if one specific cylinder is the culprit. The first three were easy to get at, so I tried unplugging the first one and it changed the way the engine sounded. Plugged it back it and tried the other two easily accessible ones. They all changed the way the car idled. I assume the last one that I did not unplug is fine. I would think the car would have stalled while I was unplugging the others if the forth one was having major problems. Should I even bother trying to unplug the forth to see what happens?
I unplugged the MAF sensor while the car was running. Nothing changed. It idled exactly as it was before. I plugged it back it. The car still idled exactly the same. Is this normal? I would have thought unplugged the MAF sensor would have really made the car freak out?
One of my friends tells me quite passionately that it’s the O2 sensor and that my car is kind of in a state of panic mode. Where it just tries to keep running and throws in as much gas as possible. Which would explain the backfiring and if the O2 sensor is indeed messed up I can’t trust the running lean DTC. He tells me unplugging the MAF sensors did nothing because of the state the car is in. It makes sense to me, but does the car in fact do this? Why would the O2 malfunction code not be coming up again?
I’m a little new to trying to fix my car. So any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

Did you ever get it fixed? I got a similar problem.

16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Malfunction in Circuit
P0130 - 008 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
16534 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1: Malfunction in Circuit
P0150 - 008 - Implausible Signal - MIL ON
16502 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Signal too High
P0118 - 002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 PM
1st Gear
Default Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Regulation: Bank 1: System too Lean : P1111

I am having the same issue on my Audi a4/b6 1.8T. My car kinda shakes around 50-60 sounds like the engine is sputtering. If I drop the gas pedal to the floor it takes off okay! Not the tires definetl the engine.

Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Regulation: Bank 1: System too Lean : P1111

This is my code. Any help. Don't want to buy the O2 sensor $120-160 bucks at Autozone!

Thank you, Brent.