Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

2004 TT base convertible

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 04:30 PM
1st Gear
Question 2004 TT base convertible

This forum has been really helpful to me in the past year. Today I sent the following email to the nearest Audi dealer (208 miles away):

My car is "immobilizied" VIN TRUTC28N64100XXXX.

1. About a year ago, when the check engine light came on, the OBD II port quit communicating with the ECU. I cleared the CEL by disconnecting the battery. (NOT a fuse issue).
2. Each time that I did this I would reset the radio code and clock. Usually it would be 3 months or more between resets.
3 A month ago I had to do this again and after driving for a about a week, the radio lost it's code and I couldn't restore the code.
4. I realized that the key fob had a dead battery so I replaced the battery and it worked fine with the radio in SAFE mode for about a week.
5. I opened the key fob again to replace the case but when I saw the rivets holding the 'Chip' into the case I stopped and re-assembled the key fob.
6. When I attempted to start the car, the 'Immobilizer' light came on and the car starts for 2 seconds and then shuts down.
7. Today I reset the radio code successfully and then followed this procedure to clear the immobilizer:
Step one: Place the key in the ignition and remove the car from safe mode (IF necessary

Step 2: Get out of the car and lock it from the outside.

Step 3: Then reinsert the key into the driver's side key hole and turn it fully into the unlocked direction TWICE, which should be towards the front of the car twice.

Step 4: Relock the car with the key from the outside.

Step 5: UNlock door with the key from the outside.

Step 6: Start car

Radio code reset, key fob locks and unlocks everything, immobilizer light still on. CAR WON"T START

Please advise me on how this get past this. Can you send a new key (or 2).

CARFAX will show that this car was a 'Lemon Law' buy back in Texas, sent to Atlanta for repairs? and re-sold in Georgia. I'm sure that some information on this ecu and keys must be on file with Audi.

Can any forum member advise another approach? I have no valet key or a second master key.
Generally I don't post to the forum because I can find help by searching. Now I'm really stuck, so your help and consideration would be appreciated.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Found one problem:

When I had the key apart I changed the flip part and didn't know about the transponder inside of it. Switched it back and now it will start. Just have to reset the radio code for some reason?

Old 06-10-2016, 06:30 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy SAFE code:

I have been driving the TT again but it is driving me crazy. No check engine lights, all guages are normal. 8 out of 10 times the 'SAFE' code is on when I start it. I reset the radio code and drive on, expecting to reset it again next time. The battery now goes dead in 3 or 4 days because of this.

I was going to have new keys cut by a locksmith and programmed by the VW dealer but VW service says that they can't crack the Audi code either.

Would a VW beetle ECU transplant put an end to this Audi/BOSE bullshit?