Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

235/35/19 Nankang tire issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 PM
1st Gear
Default 235/35/19 Nankang tire issue

I put new wheels and tires on my car March of this year. I did not get an alignment, because the old tires and wheels (stock wheels)seem to be wearing properly and it drove perfectly straight. Tonight I had a flat tire. When I had my last inspection, they told me the tires were cupping which suprised me because at that point they were only a couple months old. I do drive about 2000 miles a month. Now all 4 tires are cupped all around the inner edge and the rear that did not blow is showing cords at each cup spot. No wonder these things are so loud.

So, do I need an alignment with new tires? All 4 tires are wearing out exactly the same way (small cup shapes all around the inside edge. It seems to me like just a crap tire, but I am wondering if you guys have had this issue. The car had no shakes or shimmies and drives perfectly straight. The car is not lowered either, it is stock height.

I don't want to waste extra money if these tires just wore out like they normally do. I have read other complaints about them being noisy and cupping, but I did not see anyone say they all cupped on the inside edge specifically.

By the way, these are Nankang Ultra Sport NS-II 235/35/19.

I don't know exactly, but I estimate that I got about 15-17,000 miles out of these, but that is to blow out stage on the rears. They still have good tread except the inside edge. The fronts are still driveable for awhile (cupping spots are not bald yet) and other than the edge the tread is still good.

Any advice? Do these cars even have camber adjustment?, and why would i need it if I did not lower the car or change suspension geometry. These tires are just a tad taller than stock (maybe 1/2" or less). They may be a little wider, I cant remember. I would have to pull up the specs again. They fit the car perfectly (as in the offset seams about the same as stock)

The car is a 2000. I did not rotate the tires, which would not have made any difference since every position wore the same way. The rears just wore out faster.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm make believe

The 19's are a half inch taller than the stock wheels which is a diff of 2%. Probably should of got an alignment which probably would have saved your money in the long run.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

Old 12-07-2010, 06:49 AM
3rd Gear

What Nate said. And yes, Nankang are **** tires.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 AM
1st Gear

I suspect the tires would have worn fine if I had gotten an alignment. When I looked at my camber adjustment, it looks like it is set pretty far negative. This is just judging by where the bolts are in the slots. I will be getting an alignment after I put on the new tires this time. We will see how far it has to move from where it is.