Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

2Q's: can you adjust the power top and the turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 05:07 PM
1st Gear
Default 2Q's: can you adjust the power top and the turbo?

Just bought a bank repo, 03 TT quattro roadster with only 42,000km on it,
nice car but still reading all the forums, I have 2 little pet peeves I am trying to solve

1: my power top when I go to put up stops about six inches from the windshield locking frame... then I have to pull down hard to get it close enough to turn and lock into place... Is this normal or can I adjust to get it closer??

2: you can hear the turbo start to wind up and kick in around 3,000 rpm's in every gear... seems a little quick to me, especially when I am coming off the lights in first.... can the turbo be adjusted and what is the normal band for a turbo TT

still reading, but thanks in advance guys,

Old 06-04-2011, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mrsats
Just bought a bank repo, 03 TT quattro roadster with only 42,000km on it,
nice car but still reading all the forums, I have 2 little pet peeves I am trying to solve

1: my power top when I go to put up stops about six inches from the windshield locking frame... then I have to pull down hard to get it close enough to turn and lock into place... Is this normal or can I adjust to get it closer??

2: you can hear the turbo start to wind up and kick in around 3,000 rpm's in every gear... seems a little quick to me, especially when I am coming off the lights in first.... can the turbo be adjusted and what is the normal band for a turbo TT

still reading, but thanks in advance guys,
not rly sure about the power top cause i dont hve a roadster, but the tt's have small turbos, both the ko4 and ko3s and they spool fast, u can adjust boost but cant rly change spool time. hope this helps

Old 06-05-2011, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the info, just seems quick to me... but what is the normal band range for the turbo? 2500-3500 rpm's in your coupe or is it wider?

Old 06-07-2011, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mrsats
thanks for the info, just seems quick to me... but what is the normal band range for the turbo? 2500-3500 rpm's in your coupe or is it wider?
spools at 3000 holds a consistent 11lbs (as read by my awe boost gauge) through 5000-5500 thn it will drop off i dont rly run my TT past 4000 rpm normally but thts wht ive seen the couple of times ive ran it hard
btw i have a 180 thts why im runnin 11lbs of boost if u have a 225 it'll be higher around 15lbs i believe, hope this helps

Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

Following the thread about turbo and I have been wondering about my '02 TTQ 225 turbo system; I really don't know if it is actually working, power seems OK but I can't really hear anything like a turbo engaging or winding up. The only thing that I hear is when I shut the engine off, I guess it is the turbo that continues to run for several seconds. How can I tell if turbo is really functioning and is there any kind of real power surge when it does kick in. As for convertible top, 4 to 6 inches is where mine stops and I pull it down from there.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Whitr
Following the thread about turbo and I have been wondering about my '02 TTQ 225 turbo system; I really don't know if it is actually working, power seems OK but I can't really hear anything like a turbo engaging or winding up. The only thing that I hear is when I shut the engine off, I guess it is the turbo that continues to run for several seconds. How can I tell if turbo is really functioning and is there any kind of real power surge when it does kick in. As for convertible top, 4 to 6 inches is where mine stops and I pull it down from there.
if u have a stock airbox it muffles the turbo n u can bearly hear it, the only way to tell if yours isnt working, i.e. a leak or if its running in "limp" mode ( ~5 psi), you would need a boost gauge, or if u know someone else with a 225, drive theirs and see if there is a difference.
And the sound u hear after u shut the car off is a pump tht moves oil through the turbo to cool it down, it gets rid of the need for a turbo timer, it shuts off after like 5 mins. hope this helps

Old 06-08-2011, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Iron Cobra for your input. My TT never has been a rocket, it is fairly peppy but I've never noticed any kind of a performance boost from the turbo, at least nothing like I thought a turbo would perform like. I may have had too high of an expectation.

Thanks again,
Whitr

Old 06-12-2011, 03:17 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Whitr
Thanks Iron Cobra for your input. My TT never has been a rocket, it is fairly peppy but I've never noticed any kind of a performance boost from the turbo, at least nothing like I thought a turbo would perform like. I may have had too high of an expectation.

Thanks again,
Whitr
anytime , and tt's are quick cars, there not rockets, but theyre not slow, if u want a rocket jst go stage 3 lol