Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Akrid smelling smoke out the pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 03:14 AM
1st Gear
Default Akrid smelling smoke out the pipe...

Well, the car was running ok up until today. Drove into work and while letting the car idle - a faint haze of white smoke was coming out the exhaust. About 3 minutes into Idle a heavier haze was coming out with a god awful stink. At first im thinking headgaskets about to **** the bed. There is no exhaust smell in the coolant, it isnt bubbleing and the level isnt low. The exhaust smell doesnt have that HG blown smell either...it's a very awkward horrible smell...Could this be a Pushed too far turbo about to **** the bed?
I called RDFabs and i'm gonna have them pop the exhaust off and what not...as it stands right now I am a mobile thick smelly haze maker and can't drive the car anymore. Sooo guess I will get the pagparts exhast manifold and whatever a Decent Garret turbo is (if mines shot) I'll have them do a compression check as well "Just" incase

sigh =(

Old 06-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Akrid smelling smoke out the pipe...

that sounds like the seals on the turbo may be going.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

sooooo this car just baffles my mind...I started it today..very very faint smoke...still smells horrible but no smoke...This car just makes my head hurt. RDFabs is gonna take the car in Saturday and do a Compression test (I need to know what good numbers are for that also) leak down test as well as check for shaft play. Pretty much my shopping list consists of the Garret GT2560R Turbo, Pagparts exhaust manifold, RDFabs will also do my new FMIC install and new piping/clean out all the oil vapors that are caked in there...Yippie...

I'll post more once I know more...sucks I just started to save up enough money to pay the car off and this happens...Whoooo...

Old 06-06-2008, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

I know that smell. It happened to my car once when the turbo hose from the DV popped off... the car instantly freaked out, ran like crap, and stalled... It happened in my neighborhood so I slowly coasted to my house and I could smell this HORRIBLE smell of rotten eggs coming out of the exhaust... it lingered for a good hour and a half.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm make believe

a gt28r, nice choice.

A new engine is 200psi and the lowest is 140. I forget the allowance from highest and lowest cyl, think its 10% of the highest.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

So we tore Everything apart. Nothing was wrong internally or anything. Soo I wasn't ready to dump that amount of $ into the car. Threw it back together and drove it. FINALLY the check engine light came on. Pre cat o2 sensor No Activity. Ordered a new one from ECS (Had the customize the connector molex w/ a razor some. No big) Plugged it in and Boom. No More Cold Start Problems. Only took 4000 miles for the CEL To show me something easy to fix.
The Pre Cat o2 Was as black as night - Def OEM too. Car idles properly, Hell of alot more power and throw back, No more white smoke or pops upon startup. Un-beleiveable. I hate this car!