Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Best pads for a TT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Best pads for a TT?

Hello Guys,

It has come time for me to change out my brake pads, and I'm wondering what kind of pads you guys use and recommend? I don't like the basic Napa pads, or any variation of them, but at the same time I'm looking for something that isn't going to tear me a new hole in my wallet and burn up in 10000 miles. I saw TTStuff has the EBC pads (reds) but they are a hair bit pricy (about $125 or so for the front). Is it better to just spring the extra cash for something like those?

Hoping you guys had some suggestions.

Thanks,
Anthony
2003 225TT - APR Chipped 93/100, Forge DV, Custom Intake, soon to have custom exhaust...

Old 12-07-2006, 10:06 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Best pads for a TT?

Im using Mintex Red Box pads, have had no problems, but some won't touch them because of a defect (possibly as long ago as a few years) where the pads would disintegrate within a few thousand miles. As far as I know, the problem has long been corrected.

Currently running red box pads and zimmerman x-drilled rotors, they work great.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:55 AM
2nd Gear

Nothing against achTTung, but I hate the mintex pads. I bought a full set of mintex pads along with new zimmerman cross-drilled and slotter rotors, I got everything installed and took it for a test drive... Horrible! the car wound not stop for anything, it felt like I had just taken the front brakes off and was only using the rears. I thought they just had to break in, so I drove for days just driving and braking as much as I could, but still no improvement.
After a few weeks of driving like a overloaded 18-wheeler, I put the stock pads back on and WOW it was like putting a big brake kit on. I will never go the cheap route anymore.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:23 AM

no offense but also not a huge fan of mintex, lets say we had some complaints. does your car have a wear sensor on the pads? I can get you akebono ceremics and PBR ceramics, both better that the EBC pads. i get stuff really cheap lemme know if your interested. also it wouldnt be a bad idea to replace rotors either. oh if you want i can also get the factory pagid pads. i can get the crossed drilled zimmermans pretty cheap as well.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:10 PM
3rd Gear

how cheap are you talking?

Old 12-08-2006, 01:54 PM

what do you want? pbr metal masters, pbr ultimate ceramics, akebono ceramics, zimmerman rotors, zimmerman cross drilled, front or rear, brembo rotors?

do you walk into a parts store and say "i need brakes."

Old 12-08-2006, 01:55 PM

and also what car? year model variant etc.... and with or without sensor?

Old 12-08-2006, 02:05 PM

here is a little example of how cheap im talking.

PBR Ultimate Ceramic Pads set retail $113.33 Your AFer member price 50 bucks plus shipping.
Zimmerman X drilled rotors 312x25mm retail 156.82 your price as a AFer 100 plus shipping.

these prices are subject to changing cause my distributor is on crack sometimes.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:28 PM
5th Gear

Ray, what other complaints have you heard about mintex?

It really does seem to be hit or miss, I've had no problems, the car stops faster than the stock pads did (also may be contributed to the zimmermans), they're wearing well, and theres no dust.

Other people hate them, say the pads dont work well, or wear quickly, or are noisy.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:40 PM

Mintex are good and recommended for this car thats what Audi use

Quick Reply: Best pads for a TT?