Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

CARB Legal Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 AM
Default CARB Legal Mods

was a BMW person at heart, but after seeing/riding in my bosses S4 Audi has all my attention. I am looking at the 225 tt coupe. 6 spd. perferrably.

is the GIAC chip CARB legal? what about a downpipe and catback that are CARB legal? Intake?

also anyone on here replaced the timing belt and/or clutch themselves? taken pics? possibly a write up on it?

thanks

ALSO: Hello to all this is one of my 1st posts.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: CARB Legal Mods

Welcome to the forums, as for the GIAC chip yes it is carb legal I have had mine in and not any problems, the downpipe from 42draft designs(the only person that make one for the 225model) as long as you get it with the high flow cat you will not have any problems. I dont know about the timing belt, the clutch is basically just like any other clutch. Intake from Modshack is legal you will not have any problems. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But most performance places that make quaility performance parts for the TT consider this, and make everything CARB legal.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

Not true. In Cali you have to get exemption from the CARB board, it comes with a sticker that must be present in the engine bay or elsewhere for every modification that changes the emissions.

Other then a DV, pulleysand a clutch/flywheel(which dont change emissions), I dont know of any engine mods for the 1.8T that come with the CARB certifications. You might be better off checking the VW boards and see what they havecome up with as that is a much larger more common market.

I think in Cali you can make your mods and go get it smog tested to establish your own individual certification for your car, but I'm not ssre.

Developing parts with CARB exemption is much more expensive to the manufacturer as you have to pay for the additional testing. Mostly only the VERY popular platforms take care of this ahead of time as they are assured return on thier investment through the sheer numbers of thier consumers. Obviously the Audi market does not share this benefit.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:36 AM
3rd Gear

Wow didnt know that, thanks for the info, and boy am I glad I dont live in Cali.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:31 PM
I'm make believe

same here, it makes doing things much harder. But if you look in mags like super street and impot tuner a ton of these cars are located in cali along with the people/companies that makes them.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:41 PM
1st Gear

Alot of those cars are Honda, Nissan, and Toyots though which puts them in the 'popular platform' grouping.

You might try calling around your area for VW/Audi specific performance shops they would be better equipped to point you in the right direction. I live in FL and they dont even smog cars here, so other then the guidelines of CARB, which I've read about, I dont know much. Im pretty sure theres ways around it though, but youll have to talk to some local enthusiasts to find the loopholes.

Neuspeed might have some CARB parts as they deal with Honda/Acura as well, Injen, maybe Borla. Some research and legwork should get you where you want to be.

If your sneaky you can mod whatever you want so long as you keep it looking/sounding OEM and you can pass a smog test. Its not as easy as bolt on and go as it requires constant tuning, but I've seen 900hp cars with huge turbo/injector combos pass emissions before.

Good luck, my suggestion is MOVE. lol.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear

My car is heavily modded and I past inspection without a problem. All I did was put the stock airbox back in and removed the Boost Machine and ****... about 30 minutes worth of work. Set the chip back to stock mode and took it in. Since 99% of the inspection stations do not have a 4wd dyno, you get tested at idle and at 3000 rpm in neutral. Since the wastegate doesn't close unless the car is moving, the turbo doesn't even enter into the equation.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

The turbo does enter into the equation if you have to run bigger injectors to support said turbo, whether the wastegate opens or not. Running a test-pipe or even some high flow cats would also present a problem come test time.

Most of your mods, as far as I'm familiar with them (the text in your sig is illegible to me), are suspension and tweaks to the stock turbo system. Until you've completely opened up the exhuast, moved up to a bigger turbo(and the fuel system to support it), and had to actually TUNE the car youre not really 'heavily' modified as far as the engine goes, imo. Youve got a great track ready suspension and some substantial bolt-ons, and I'm not knocking your car by any means, but its not something I would sweat over getting smogged.

When you really start screwingwith the OEM flow and fueling though, thats when things get iffy. An MBC is just that, and can be turned down(or removed)when needed, and an opened up MAF isnt going to throw you off that much. But even low boost on a bigger turbo with a turbo back exhuast could pose a much bigger problem.

I'm just trying to give this guy the ideas he needs to keep in mind when hes working his way towards his goals with his car.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:16 PM
4th Gear

Yeah, it's always been a beyatch living in CA with it's higher emissions requirements... Hell, even the '06 TT could not be sold here because it didn't meet CA clean air standards!

Old 01-08-2007, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear

CARB legal parts or not, almost anything can be done and get it passed through the testing. A good friend of mine has an A4 with a Garrett turbo, big injectors, aftermarket coils, 3 inch DP, 100 cell cats, and his car passed smog testing.

All you need is the help of a good tuner to "detune" the car for testing and then set it back up after it's done. Since you only have to test every two years, it's not a big deal. And the detuning, doesn't mean, remove all the parts either.

Quick Reply: CARB Legal Mods