Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Coilpack led?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 10:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Coilpack led?

I have been taking the steps to get my car fixed from my last post where it shuts off only after being warmed up.

A The guy that had the car before me put a fuel pressure gauge in the car and I noticed that the fuel pressure was at around 55 psi. I looked in the manual and it says it should be at around 36 at idle. Picked up a fuel filter and fixed that issue. And audi says that they never need to be replaced...

B I am wondering if anyone knows exactly what the little red leds on the top of the coilpacks mean. I have had the car for a year and one of them was never on and when the whole issue started I noticed that the plastic on top of the coilpack was broken. Then the coilpack next to it started to blink not necessarily in any patter and then went out. I just ordered new coilpacks and should have them tuesday.

C I pulled the spark plugs and notcied that the one that had the broken coilpack was black and the rest were the typical tan. I went and picked up new spark plugs at auto zone. I think they are iridium xl. Should I change the gap on these as they come at a .6?

My boss said that the reason that it runs until normal operating temperature is that the coilpack works at first then as it heats up the epoxy expands and allows the spark to escape and then the cylinder shuts down as well as the rest of the engine...sounds good but anyone have thoughts?

Old 04-05-2009, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

I doubt it would stop running from just the one coil. If you take one coil out it should still stay running.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear

Make sure you gap the plugs.

Got any codes?

Old 04-05-2009, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

after the first few times of dying after warming up it finally threw a cel but it won't stay on. It came on after turning over and running then I got home shut it off and went back out the next day to troubleshoot and it was out. What I was wondering was about the leds on the coilpacks. I'm thining one is completely junk and the one next to it is on its way out...

Old 04-05-2009, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

I dont think i have LEDs on my coil packs.. where do you see those? I take it you havn't scanned for codes? that would be the first place to start.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

they are hitachi coilpacks and they also have the audi emblem right next to hitachi. the leds are right on top of the pack...on mine you cannot see any of the epoxy normally, its covered by plastic. I was wondering about the leds because one is out completly and another is blinking abnormally. No codes. it came and went and still no codes.