Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Coolant level sensor

Old 03-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Default Coolant level sensor

I've had an issue with an p2181 (cooling system performance) code since I picked up my 2003 TT quattro last weekend.

I replaced the coolant temperature sensor a few days ago and reset the code. But after 2 days the code came up again early this am.

The car runs fine. It's 80+ degrees here and there is no overheating so I'm guessing the water pump and/or thermostat are fine.

What about the coolant level sensor? I read that it can get gummed up. I was able to find an expansion tank replacement on ebay, but not the sensor. Perhaps it's gummed up and misreading? any thoughts where to get one?

Anyone have any pictures of where that sensor is located and how to service it or check it?

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor

you may have a water pump or thermostat problem. The level sensor would throw an indicator saying the level was low usually. The level sensor is built into your expansion tank, a simple resistance test with a multimeter would let you know if it were not working.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:10 PM

Well my experience it my TT has not gotten off to a good start...

I was not able to resolve the problem, so took it to the dealer. $2500 later, they replaced the water pump., belt, thermostat, ignition coils, and a CV boot....

I got the car yesterday, and on th wy home today, engine light came on again..

Took it promptly back to dealer and said "keep it untilyou fix it right, I've owned it for 1 week and it's been in the shop more than my driveway!".

Same code - there isn't much else to fix. But I hate the deceipt. They sold me a car with an issue and hid the engine issue by clearing the code, then didn't even fix the problem after I forked out another bunch of money....

I sure hope that things get smoother. I'm so very disappointed...

Got a new radio, and even that doesn't work right. They took the bose deck out but didn't program the SVC so the volume still goes up and down too much. If I ever get it back I'll replace the bose amp too..

Wheeee!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:14 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mbonadio
Well my experience it my TT has not gotten off to a good start...

Took it promptly back to dealer and said "keep it untilyou fix it right, I've owned it for 1 week and it's been in the shop more than my driveway!".

Same code - there isn't much else to fix. But I hate the deceipt. They sold me a car with an issue and hid the engine issue by clearing the code, then didn't even fix the problem after I forked out another bunch of money....
What has been the dealer response to covering these issues under warranty?
Seems that there is some fraud involved.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:39 PM

Honestly - there are two sides here... First it was a used car purchase and had no implied warrenty... I signed for that...

However, I signed with the understanding that they fully disclosed honestly what they knew was wrong. It seems likely to me that they just reset the light so they could sell it but didn't bother to disclose that to me. They did disclose the possible CV boot problem.

Also, they didn't say the timing belt wasn't replaced, but at the same time, I didn't notice it either. I knew the carfax report showed it getting it's 65k service, and knew the belt was usually done around here, but just didn't know.... Should the dealer say "the belt is 65k+ old? Not sure - to their defense it wasn't broken (yet), so I made the call to get it done and avoid further big toruble.

Guess all in all, they discounted the car $2500 and I spent $2500. So I got a nice car at an ok price and now it's all serviced and near perfect for me to enjoy.... I guess that's the most important thing right - I love the car and the look and how it drives. Just want it to last. I guess I rescued her!! ;-)))

Old 04-02-2010, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

so what did the fix for the p2181 code end up being?

Old 04-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Toss up between water pump and Thermostat - both were replaced. Code gone.. Went through another round of codes related to vacuum hoses, that's now cleared up too. Hopefully I'm on the road to fun! ;-)

Getting a new sound system installed today...