Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Custom Exhaust Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 04:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Custom Exhaust Build

I need to call the shop today and find out if they are making the Exhaust Manifold out of Stainless steel or something stronger. They are a really good shop from what ive seen. The Borla is a straight through which is extremely nice. Because yea I didn't want another chamber muffler on the TT heh. I put down the wrong link for the Intake Manifold - http://www.usrallyteam.com/inmani.html - I sent them an E-mail asking if they are still producing the 1.8T BT Intake. I really hope they are still in production.

As for the MBC - Are they easy to understand? I have no knowledge of how they work and or benefits. Ill do some more reading up on everything later in the day.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:27 PM
I'm make believe

Stainless doesnt handle the heat cycles as well as mild steal. But still, going with a pagparts manifold or something else cast is going to last much longer. If you want a tubular manifold, i would only install a FR or BF as stated before. If they do make you a manifold, make it mild steel and have them give you some sort of warenty. If not, refrain from their manifold.

USRT didnt make those manifold in house. The person they outsourced it from had bad business practices and defaulted on the agreement. USRT had to refund peoples money on some orders. Again, they havent been made in about 2 years.

Good mbc info....read

Old 11-18-2007, 03:45 AM
1st Gear

Hmm - Ill call Ryan today (Sunday) and ask him what he makes the Manifolds out of. The civics manifold didnt look like stainless so Maybe he does make them out of Mild Steel like you stated. Ill find out more. I guess I will also just stick w/ the OEM Intake for now. I will however take it off and clean it up the best I can of oil/residue + new gasket. That saddens me to hear that about USRT - I was planning on just ordering that but oh well.

As for the MBC - Good read. Cheap too. To me it sounds like one of those things people Should take the time to read up on and switch over to eventually. I'm liking the idea of reducing the turbo lag and how it states over 15psi it works Alot better. I wonder how the MBC + Relocating the DV to closer to the TB will affect Throttle response/lag. I plan on doing the giac chip after all of this is installed so I should be close to ~22psi w/ chip Im hearing.

Hope I can sell the rest of my stuff soon to get this project rolling now. I'm anxious.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm make believe

since just about everyone still uses the stock boost source w/o problems, i wouldnt bother with it unless your really bored. But you will then need to cap the orginal source

Old 11-24-2007, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

So I just got off the phone w/ the shop. They are gonna make the Exhaust Manifold out of Stainless Steel but it Will have a warranty. Lifetime on welds and 1yr on manifold its self - unless it is their fault. As for the turbo its self - After doing some research and talking to him about what they use and Pros/Cons of Ball Bearings and Journals. We are looking at a 16g Turbo Since I only plan on going to 250hp nothing crazy and they're journal bearings. Fairly cheap and It looks like they come on the Evo's and are able to handle a fairly impressive amount of boost w/ good flow. But we are just in the rough draft part at the moment. Fine tuning will happen over the course of the next few weeks as we look at whats out there, price and power and what have you.

Still waiting on the Magnaflow cat to arrive and gonna pick up an Apexi Turbo Timer while im at it. More to come.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 PM
1st Gear

i was actually thinking about the 16g Turbo. Which one is better to get though, the small 16g, or Evo 3 Big 16g? Also will you need to get he turbine wheel clipped or just leave it alone? IM wondering because im wanting to buy one immediately but i need to know what else i need to purchase before buying the right turbo. Let me know if you can.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:21 AM

all that work and 250 hp?

Old 11-25-2007, 07:28 AM
1st Gear

jojo - unsure atm - he asked me to give him a week to narrow down what would be a good turbo for me and do some more research on what would be good. Once I know though Ill let you know =)

PCB - All that work? Just doing a Full custom exhaust and turbo. ~$1500-$1700 all said and done. Not bad at all esp w/ warranties and they'll tune it. Im not looking for a Crazy amount of HP (That's what ive got the 355 Camaro for) I want to keep with reasonable gas mileage and a little extra kick. And 250whp isnt bad going from the ~140 whp. Edit - This is also w/ out the GIAC in yet. Im unsure what ill hit when going from 9psi to 22psi. So who knows maybe Over 250.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

with the new turbo you might need a new exhaust manifold (but I see its part of the deal), bigger injectors, new FPR, and the tuning and then you might need to put in more heat resistant lines so you wont get leaks from the heat of the new turbo. I know cuz I did a new turbo on my 02 TT and had to have those things done.

I just dont see $1700 for a new turbo and exhaust and all that goes to get it right. But if so then you got a hell of a deal.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm make believe

If all you want is 250hp, stick with the stock turbo. The ko4-2x will get you there. All you have to do is make it work. FWD guys are getting 230whp out of it with 18-20psi and thats only because they are scared to blow the internals with all the tq. Since the APR 225 kit runs a gt2871r to 26psi w/o problems, i cant see why you cant run more psi (24psi or so) with a ko4 and then use w/m to increase timing to reach you to your goals. As for the 16g, sure there cheap (~$600), but overkill and laggy for your goals. They dont spool until 4k on a EVO and make 2871r type power. A basic t3s60 would be as much and spool way faster and make the power levels your look at and then some.

Still would pass on the turbo and their manifold personally

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust Build