Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Is the fan control module the same as the fan rely?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NorthD
it is under it is under the battery / if facing the car engine bay looking to the rear / should have battery on your right Fan Control will be left of battery/ not much/ to the left side of battery under car in the railing/ easier done with two people especially putting in...

will try and find DIY for you

yes i actually found it and removed it and ordered a new one, but my question is, how do i know if its not the actual fan itself thats busted.
my air condition was never working but heater was, i noticed both fans were not working, so i figured its the relay module, which i ordered and waiting for it to arrive, so if i install the new relay and fans are still not turning, what else can it be? both fans are busted?
thanks for the help.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by NorthD
actual they call it auxiliary fan controller and yes it is under the battery a 16 pin 4 pin hunk of junk that goes out on every vw & audi years 2000-2003 if not more. replace coolant temp. sensor with the new(old now) green one. but the one fan generally runs after turning the ignition as a cool down it will be the smaller one on the passenger side but if it keeps running and taking the battery out that is wrong check fuse # 16

also check your battery at top here is a pic.....

this might help as well trying to organize DIY WhanAB Innovative Auto Design Parts - #3333FF
Replaced my Aux fan controll today and worked! so good advice Thanks.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:18 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the quick advice....im still waiting for the control aux to arrive, but now im trying to find the coolant temp. sensor, where is that located on Audi TT 2002 ? cant seem to find it.
thanks guys

Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

think i found it, there is a green one in there already, maybe its already been replaced by the last owner?

Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by skyhighhobby
think i found it, there is a green one in there already, maybe its already been replaced by the last owner?

yes that is it.. could have been replaced.. does not mean it did or did not go bad for $12 would replace it

Old 10-26-2012, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

yes i actually found it and removed it and ordered a new one, but my question is, how do i know if its not the actual fan itself thats busted.
my air condition was never working but heater was, i noticed both fans were not working, so i figured its the relay module, which i ordered and waiting for it to arrive, so if i install the new relay and fans are still not turning, what else can it be? both fans are busted?
thanks for the help.
let me know if fans are not working as they can go out when aux fan controller goes out.........

whanab@gmail.com

Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

so if the coolant temp. sensor goes bad, that could also make the fans stop spinning?
am waiting for the parts, will keep you guys updated. hope its not the fans, seems hard to replace under such a small hood

Old 10-29-2012, 10:48 PM
1st Gear

update,
got the fan relay module, turned car on after a week of not having it on, all worked fine, but how do i check to see if fans are working without having to heat the car from C to H, i tried both aircond and heater and no fans came on, any advice?
PS: i ordered the green sensor, will change it in couple days, hope thats the culprit!! :/

Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

update,
got the fan relay module, turned car on after a week of not having it on, all worked fine, but how do i check to see if fans are working without having to heat the car from C to H, i tried both aircond and heater and no fans came on, any advice?
PS: i ordered the green sensor, will change it in couple days, hope thats the culprit!! :/
should have come on when air condition was turned on ???

Old 10-31-2012, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

NorthD
thanks for the reply
so i changed both the relay and sensor for the radiator, i turned car on only idl, waited til gauge was half way from C to H, left car on and the fans did not come on, messed with air cond. and no fans, both fans are not spinning, but i did notice in the coolant reservoir lots of pressure was building, not sure if this is something that always happens or because my fans are not working the coolant gets super hot and smokes right in the reservoir...i just dont want to drive the car to heat up engine just to see if fans kick in or not...
also my aircondition was never working, its been a year, is the passenger side fan connected only to aircond. and the driver side connected to cooling the radiator?
at this point im guessing both fans have died or can it be my thermostat. whcih im clueless about...
hey thanks for the help, its something i want to figure out myself before i spend 200$ just go get a fan replace by the mechanic.
thanks guys

Quick Reply: Is the fan control module the same as the fan rely?