Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Flashed ECU??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:04 PM
1st Gear
Default Flashed ECU??

I just purchased a 225 coupe, I am hoping that the ECU was not already flashed (for many reasons, one being that I am not happy with the speed). Is there an any easy way to tell? Unfortunatly, this is the only TT I have driven, so I have nothing to compare against.

I have read reviews (GIAC) that it expands the torque band, decreasing the time it takes the turbo to spool. I can say that there is turbo lag up until 3200-3500 RPM, then the power seems to fad away from 5300+. I am bringing it to a shop soon to get it a good look over, so if all else fails and I cannot find out, I'm sure they will know. It would seem like it does not have it, but the car has Forge hoses, K&N air filter, and cross drilled & slotted Rotors, and the Engine cover removed. If he spent this money on all these little things, surely he would have flashed the ECU, no?

TIA

Old 04-03-2008, 02:11 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Flashed ECU??

Install a boost guage....If it boosts and holds over 15, it is chipped. Mine is about 21-22.It is about an hour longjob if you know what you are doing, that's how long it took me.I do not believe a basic auto shop would be able to tell you. When I had mine chipped (revo 93oct) I didn't know if mine was chipped either. They said they had to run a couple of checks that would tell them or it could have messed up the flash I was installing.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

It's a "tuner" shop.... Hopefully they can check the boost and check for leaks. I'm hoping for a leak, or for it not to be flashed!

Thanks

Old 04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

just outa curiosity but why wouldn't you want your ECU flashed if it already is?

Old 04-03-2008, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: AhDee_tt
If he spent this money on all these little things, surely he would have flashed the ECU, no?
Not necessarily. The $500 may have slowed him down. Sounds like you have a boost leak.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear

he's not saying that he would revert back to stock if it is flashed. I'm sure he would keep the flash...

He's saying he would be disappointed that he can't add more power than he already has.

ORIGINAL: v3rtig0

just outa curiosity but why wouldn't you want your ECU flashed if it already is?

Old 04-03-2008, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear

ya that would be a bummer if it was flashed and you werent happy with the power. Guess you will just have to buy more stuff to make it faster if it is....
what makes you think it might be flased already?

Old 04-03-2008, 04:10 PM
2nd Gear

At least as a stop gap, they (shop) should be able to tap into vag com to read the boost (-1 bar, since it doesnt subtract atmosphereic pressure from the read out). I think the boost took me almost two hours, having no idea what I was doing, and removing an aftermarket 20lbs of cell phone kit. It should def be your first/next mod, I do reccomend the tap-a-fuse unless you really want dimmer control of the backlight of the boost gauge.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I do eventually want to flash it, and would be disappointed if it was already. Maybe I just need to get used to a turbo'd car as I just gave up a 300hp RWD, NA car. 2 Different animals... If anyone is curious, I'll bump this in a week or 2. Hopefully I'll be saying it wasn't flashed, and the GIAC route was a success!

Thanks for the replies...

Old 04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: WishIWasRWD

he's not saying that he would revert back to stock if it is flashed. I'm sure he would keep the flash...

He's saying he would be disappointed that he can't add more power than he already has.

ORIGINAL: v3rtig0

ah, found the light switch

Quick Reply: Flashed ECU??