Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

FMIC round 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 PM
1st Gear
Default FMIC round 2

So I decided that I would use my 4 day weekend to once again attempt mounting my new FMIC and it has been going much smoother we were going to notch the aluminum bumper to make the intercooler fit but once we started looking at it we decided to pull the bumper off and elongate the holes so that it stuck out a bit more which allowed the intercooler just enough room to fit behind it and the plastic bumper still fits over and lines up correctly we ran out of daylight and battery for our drill so tommorow we will finish the brackets pull the 2 SMIC and rig up some ghetto piping so I can drive it to the muffler shop and have them mandrel bend me some pipes here are some pics so far more to come tommorow.

Name:  moto_0030.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  61.0 KB

Name:  moto_0031.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  moto_0029.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  126.9 KB

Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: FMIC round 2

my neck hurts...

Looks like you're making decent progress now. What do you mean elongate the holes, which holes?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm make believe

That is one massivly oversized ic Hope you get all your parts soon so you have plenty of flow to fill that bad boy up with

Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

The bumper mounts to its supports with one bolt on each side so I elongated the two holes allowing it to slide out further from the car its closer to the plasticbumper now but still doesnt touch it when its put back together and it gave me just enough room to slide in the intercooler I also had to relocate the little sensor I'm not sure what it does but I ran the car for a bit to see how the FMIC blocking the radiator would affect the engine temp but it all seemed normal will get a better idea tommorow on the way to the muffler shop though will also end up moving the horns I think

Old 05-09-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm make believe

Think the sensor you are talking about is for the outside air temp. Not much of a big deal. The flow to the radiator will be down some, but wont harm the cooling system much

Old 05-09-2008, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

That is one massivly oversized ic Hope you get all your parts soon so you have plenty of flow to fill that bad boy up with
I hope I do also I'm sure running this huge intercooler and W/M on the stock turbo will bring me more disapointment then power gains

and while I'm thinking about it to disable my little headlight washers do I need a plug or something to stop the ww fluid from just squirting on the ground from the removed sprayers?
I'm sure its obvious from looking but I didnt pull enough of the skirt off to see it just wondering what I can expect tommorow

Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 PM
1st Gear

I guess if that sensor is for outside air temp I should move it again since I put it so close to the radiator it would prolly just show me that temp

Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm make believe

Yes you need to plug the aliens water line. A simple bolt and clamp worked for me. I would expect huge drop off in psi with that massive beast and a stock turbo.

What diam piping are you getting?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

I think the piping will be 2.75 inch to match the intercooler and I was planning on using T-304 for it since I doubt the muffler shop has aluminum and depending on what kind of flares he can do on it I might try hooking it up with V-Band clamps to the intercooler since I happen to have some laying around

Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm make believe

I would go 2.5" hot and 2.75" cold. Just throw on a reducer to the core and you will be fine. You want the velocity to the core to be high and the flow post core to be high.

Quick Reply: FMIC round 2