Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

A frustrating oil warning light problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Default A frustrating oil warning light problem

I am sure this problem has been discussed before, but I'm hoping for a few more clues for things to try.

My TT is a 2000 2wd that I purchased new, I now have 215K miles on it and except for a few bad dealer experiences it has been pretty reliable. I really enjoy the car and expect to have it crack 300k before it goes to the boneyard, however I have this nagging problem that I can't seem to fix.

I am pretty good mechanically and play with scca club racing cars, but typically let a local shop maintain the TT since it's my daily driver.

About 20k miles ago, the oil can light came on steady with the annoying beep. When I start the car, at idle everything looks fine, and there are no warning lights or mechanical issues with the car. When I accelerate past 5-10 mph, the oil can and beep go on, and they will stay on for the remainder of the trip, (the beep will stop after 4 beeps but will go off on occasion if I idle at a long delay and accelerate again into traffic.

I have performed the following maintenance on the car to solve the problem and it still remains.
a) replaced the oil pump and screen
b) replaced the oil filter mount and the associated gaskets
c) replaced themultiple (2-3)oil pressure sensors attached to the filter/hose mount
d) checked and adjusted the oil pressure to be at the factory specs.
e) had the dashboard sent out to be rebuilt since the fuel level and water temp were askew
f) Use the ViaCom diagnostic tool to reset the system defaults

The local shop is at a loss for what to try, and I have tried all of my ideas.

If anyone had any suggestions or comments they will be more than accepted and appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

Old 03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: A frustrating oil warning light problem

Its usually the sensor, but since you have replaced that, im at a loss also. You have more than replaced all that i can think that could be the cause. Send auditech79 a pm and he might be more helpful. He is a master audi tech.