Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Help Please in Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Help Please in Vegas

Does anyone that lives in the Vegas area have a Vag-Com that could hook up to my 2000 audi to check why the CEL is on and why the temp gauge goes almost to the top of the gauge, but no warning light. I reset the ECU to clear the CEL, and it works until the car gets hot again.

It is not the oil cooler, there is no coolant in the oil, or oil in the coolant.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and i will compensate.

I am new to Audi's and car repair, but have a great background in superbike repair so i can hold my own under instruction.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan Meanse

*** Edit: I plan on getting a VAG-COM as soon as i get on my feet here in Vegas... I just moved a month ago and i dont have the 400$ to buy one at the time.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:28 PM
cmh
Default RE: Help Please in Vegas

The temp gauge/fuel gauge malfunction is an indicator of a bad cluster. TT's have a notorious problem with the gauge clusters going bad- you have the option of replacing the entire unit $850, or sending it out for a repair $300ish. Do a search, lots of info about failing instrument clusters.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear

Check out a auto parts store, they have read my cels before for free.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

no places in Vegas do it for free i called around.

To cmh: Everything else on my cluster works 100%. No LED's are burnt out, and the gas gauge still reads perfect. I dont know if that makes any diffrence... i hope its not the cluster

I'm thinking (or hoping) it is maybe a bad coolant sensor or a thermostat

Old 09-25-2007, 09:00 PM
4th Gear

2000 TT's have the blue top sensor, no reason to replace them.
Are your fan working? Maybe a blown fuse?

Autozone sells a cheaper portable version of vag-com.
I got mine for $70...

Old 09-25-2007, 09:22 PM
1st Gear

Both fans are definately functioning, i believe thats what is keeping it under a dangerous heat level

Old 09-25-2007, 09:29 PM
4th Gear

It's possible it could be your thermostat, but more than likely your water pump.
How many miles does your TT have?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:34 PM
1st Gear

just hit 60k. I thought if your water pump failed, it would make your timing belt fail as well? I was also thinking maybe the water pump because sometimes when i am driving, the temp gauge will go down some, and the waterpump is ran off the engine so i figured it was pumping more water at the higher RPM and making it cooler. That is also why i thought that it could be a problem with the radiator or the coolant. I cannot even find the radiator cap on this car, only the overflow.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 PM
1st Gear

is there any way to check if the thermostat is gone? or do i just have to pull it and replace?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

also i should add that my A/C compressor or condensor seems to be going bad also. Sometimes it blows cold, sometimes it does not... and this occurred before the heat problem. The instrument cluster looks to be 100% by appearance, no flaws noticed.

Its funny that when it was 120 degrees here, my car would not go much over half of the temp gauge, now its 75 degrees and im right below boiling!

Quick Reply: Help Please in Vegas