Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

HELP! Spring/coil noise coming from right front tire while turning??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 03:28 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP! Spring/coil noise coming from right front tire while turning??

HELP! Ive had my 2002 225hp 6 speed audi TT quattro for a year now, about a week ago, i noticed a strange spring/coil "BOING" noise when i turn into my drive way this has occured when i turn into the driveway from the left or the right but the noise seemingly only comes from the front right (passenger side), im a young female and im strapped for cash so im desperate to find out what it is before i bring it to a mechanic that im sure will try and give a young lady "the run around" PLEASE HELP! p.s. my turn signals also stopped working about a month ago, or should i say, they occasionally work, sometimes when i turn to signal the light just stays on the only way to make it appear its flickering is if i manually pull the lever up and down, could this all be rooted to one problem or am i dealing with and electric gremlin?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm make believe

If the noise only comes when you hit something, then its most likely a strut bushing.
Strut bushings - Audi TT MKI Quattro 225HP > Suspension > Shocks > ES#5029 ECS Complete Upper Strut Mounting Kit - 1J0412331C-KT

If its a pop when you turn, then its most likely the sway bar bushings.
sway bar bushings - Audi TT MKI Quattro 225HP > Suspension > Sway Bar > ES#4744 Sway Bar Bushing - Front, Each - 1J0411314AC

May also want to check MJM Autohaus, they often have slightly lower prices.

Turn signal switch - 2000-2006 Audi TT Turn Signal Switch - Febi W0133-1735610

The strut bushing is EASY to repair. Follow the attached link and anyone with an air compressor can change both in about an hour for you. Just buy them pizza and a beverage.

[QUOTE = myself]

Tools:
Preferred: Impact with a deep 21 mm socket
Can use: 13/16 spark plug socket and a 6 or 7 mm allen and a wrench for the spark plug socket.

Basic method:
Open hood
Remove top 21 mm nut, cap, then second 21 mm nut.
Put the first nut back on and tight down. This nut will slide through the bushing.
Then jack the car up and let the shock droop down.
The drivers side will swap out easily and can move to the next step. The passenger side axel will hit the front subframe and not give you the clearance. You need to take the 21 mm and loosen or remove the 2 sub frame bolts on that side (they are the only 21mm bolts so you can't miss them). This will give you the extra room needed.
Put the new bushing on top, center the shock and slowly lower down the car with the shock in place.
Go above and remove the top bolt again and put back the 2nd bolt back on, tighten, the cap, then the top nut again and tighten. It should be tight enough the cap will not spin.
You are done and saved a **** load of time and money.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-06-2011, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Great information thank you! someone else said something about a strut bushing but it doesnt occur when i hit anything it only happens when im turning sharp, like into my driveway or out of the gas station

Old 09-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I'm make believe

Originally Posted by cincyTT

If its a pop when you turn, then its most likely the sway bar bushings.
sway bar bushings - Audi TT MKI Quattro 225HP > Suspension > Sway Bar > ES#4744 Sway Bar Bushing - Front, Each - 1J0411314AC

May also want to check MJM Autohaus, they often have slightly lower prices.
Helps if you read all of a reply

Old 09-06-2011, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

Thank you I did read the entire reply it was very helpful but its not exactly a "pop" when I turn its just the spring noise, bare with me I am a female im not the best with mechanical terms i have my brother and father to help me but neither of them are familar with foreign cars, but is there any chance it could be a combination of both?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm make believe

It's the sway bar. The soft bushings allow the wheels to tilt on your sharp turns. When it realigns, it will make a pop from the strut since that's where it attaches. Firm new bushings will allow the swaybar to do its job and no more noise.

It's $25 and some time. My gf's bug is doing it now and her bushing are in the mail.